20x40 circulation patterns, linear or circular?

arri

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Apr 24, 2016
Central California
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
For a 20' x 40' rectangular pool, I would like to know what the more desirable circulation pattern is:

A: Placing skimmers on opposing corners and attempting to set up a circular flow with the returns
or
B: Placing skimmers on the same wall and returns on the opposing wall for linear flow across the pool

For either case, what is considered ample skimmer and return capacity assuming a 3hp Intelliflo pump?
In the linear "B" case, assuming ample skimmer and return capacity, would it be preferable to flow the water across the short direction or the long direction of a rectangle?

It is most important that the skimmer be on the predominately down-wind side. Wind will quickly overcome water movement for floating debris.
Then if you are going to have a 2nd skimmer, put it on the opposite end.

I have witnessed my predominate wind consistently moving the surface debris to the East end of my pool which runs longways East-West.

Two skimmers sound like enough. Would three be problematic if they were all home run back to the pump?

Most pools get by with 1 skimmer. 2 adds some flexibility. But I think if you add more than that, flow rates through each skimmer will be hurt and I am not sure it would buy you anything.

The more skimmers you have, the more flow rate you need from the pump and the more expensive it will be to run, especially in CA. So add skimmers only if you really need them.

I have two skimmers on the long side and 3 returns on the opposite long side. I have watched stuff float across the top of the pool towards a skimmer. Which skimmer gets more depends on which way the wind is blowing. I observe a linear flow and don't observe any circular flow.

I have two skimmers on the long side and 3 returns on the opposite long side. I have watched stuff float across the top of the pool towards a skimmer. Which skimmer gets more depends on which way the wind is blowing. I observe a linear flow and don't observe any circular flow.

Identical to mine except that I also have a pressure vac return (not used for vacuuming anymore) on the skimmer side, between them. It has no fitting on it so it just goes into the middle height of the pool. The three returns have eyeballs gently pointed to the surface, but not enough to cause aeration.

This setup works well. Wind direction varies widely but a few of the more common directions tend to support the surface flow. I didn't choose the setup, just went with the builder flow on that at the time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.