Pool Contract Questions for renovation

RichTJ99

Gold Supporter
Sep 16, 2016
Katonah NY
Hi,

So I am about to pull the trigger for my pool renovation. I had a few questions.

The pool contractor is saying it will take a week for my project (is that possible?) - these people are the ones that Anthony/Sulvan hires to do their tile work and plaster work.

We are aiming for a 3/11 renovation (NY Northeast) weather permitting (This year was very cold & caused big delays). We have 4/22 as a backup start date. I am going on a cruise for a week 4/13 - 4/20 and do not want the project to happen while I am away (I have read to many horror stories here) - including the 2 weeks of scrubbing - I want it all done prior to me leaving.

Do you need to scrub the walls after 2 weeks? When can I run the pool cleaning robot (polaris 280)?

If it starts on 3/11, they (say) it finishes on 3/18, 2 weeks of daily scrubbing puts me at 4/1 leaving another 12 days before i leave for my trip - am I better off waiting? I sort of figure if the timing gets botched, I can have them do everything but wash the pool and put the plaster on waiting for 4/22 to finish that part.

Here is their text from the contract (I made bold additions for clarification):

Pool & spa will be completely drained. All existing tile will be removed from pool & spa and discarded off site. Existing setting bed will be cleaned and prepared for new tile installation. New Tile will be installed on existing pool waterline & 6" on spa waterline. TILE TO BE INSTALLED ON STAIRS AT MAIN ENTRANCE AND DEEP ENTRANCE. Spa wall will be moved INCLUDING REWORKING SPA STAIRS TO MATCH POOL STAIR HEIGHTS & leaking jet will be fixed. Existing Tile in skimmer throat will be replaced. Standard Tile Material is included. Existing paint on pool & spa will be sandblasted and then prepared for new plaster installation. Existing plaster will be ground down and chiseled out around all existing drains, returns, and lights. Pool & spa will then be washed and rinsed. Entire pool & spa surface will be covered with a multi-coat bonding agent. New Plaster finish will be applied after bonding agent has been allowed to dry. New Plaster will be diamond brite plaster. Pool must begin filling as soon as plaster is complete. 1 Truck Load of trucked in water will be included; customer will pay for remaining truck loads of water. Pool must be brushed twice a day for 2 weeks - homeowner will take care with service company.
Deck-o-Seal will be installed behind coping.

Anything else i should add? Anything missing?

FYI - My gunite pool was painted by the previous owners (thats why I need the sandblasting).

Thanks,
Rich

Attachments

• pool (4).jpg
    pool (4).jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 75
Yeah, it can take a week, or not. I would schedule the work for after you return from the cruise and eliminate the stress. March for plastering is pushing it around us.

You need to continue brushing the pool after the 2 weeks. And check the PH every day or two. I would not leave a 2 week old newly plastered pool unattended for 2 weeks.

You have to wait 30 days before running anything with wheels on new plaster.

When i did my replaster the weather and subcontractor schedules did not make it happen until May.

Don't bank on it. Unless they are the exception to the rule (unlikely):

1. They won't start on time (they'll have all kinds of excuses)
2. It'll take much more than 1 week (they'll have all kinds of excuses)

Don't plan any tight timelines, cause it ain't gonna happen! And plan your payment schedule accordingly.

Hi,

So i am about to finalize the contract - we added some revisions (and some Revi$ion$). Anything I am missing here?

DESCRIPTION OF WORK AND REASON
Pool & spa will be completely drained. All existing tile will be removed from pool & spa and discarded off site. Existing setting bed will be cleaned and prepared for new tile installation. New Tile will be installed on existing pool waterline & 6" on spa waterline. Tile to be installed on top of stairs at main pool & deep end entrances. Spa wall will be moved, 3 steps will be added to spa to match the existing height of the stairs in the main pool & leaking jet will be fixed. Existing Tile in skimmer throat will be replaced. Standard Tile Material is included. Existing paint on pool & spa will be sandblasted and then prepared for new plaster installation. Existing plaster will be ground down and chiseled out around all existing drains, returns, and lights. Pool & spa will then be washed and rinsed. Entire pool & spa surface will be covered with a multi-coat bonding agent. New Plaster finish will be applied after bonding agent has been allowed to dry. New Plaster will be diamond brite plaster. Pool must begin filling as soon as plaster is complete. 1 Truck Load of trucked in water will be included; customer will pay for remaining truck loads of water. Pool must be brushed twice a day for 2 weeks - homeowner will take care with service company. Deck-o-Seal will be installed behind coping.
Diamond Brite Plaster Selection: TBD
Deck-o-Seal Selection: TBD
Work to begin on Monday, April 22nd, 2019 weather permitting
All Work will be warrantied 2 years from date of completion.
Site will be left clean of all construction debris.

Labor - New Tile Installation including tile on top of stairs in the main pool & the spa entrance & New Plaster Installation (Labor Only)
Labor - Deck-o-Seal Installation
Labor - Move the Spa Wall including adding stairs to spa to match height on main pool entrance
Separate Charge - $150 an hour to fix spa jet - separate charge not inlcuded in Total above

Thanks,
Rich

Seems pretty comprehensive for a reno. Fix the plumbing issue (spa jet) and pressure test all plumbing before they start any tile, plastering, coping or decking work. Not sure why those last 3 labor items are separated out(?)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.