Pool Light Trouble - Any help is appreciated

Sep 20, 2018
Baton Rouge
I changed my pool light to a multicolored LED bulb

LAMPAOUS LED Pool Lights Bulb, RGB Muliti Color LED Swimming Pool Lights, E26 Base Par56 Under Water Lights Replacement Bulb 120VAC 35 Watt

After I changed it, it worked great for about a week. Then, the gfci would trip as soon as I turned on the switch. I had the gfci replaced, hoping that would take care of the problem. That did not help, so then I checked the light fixture and noticed water in the fixture. So, I emptied it, let it dry out for over 24 hours, replaced the gasket, and put it back together. Now, when I flip on the switch, it comes on very faintly and dim. It's nowhere near as bright as it should be.

I should also note that it's wired to a 30A circuit shared with my water heater. The old gfci I took out was a 20A and the new one the elec. installed is a 15A.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks is advance.

Pool is 22k, IG gunite.

Last edited:
My guess is the LED driver electronics in the base of the bulb got damaged when it got wet.

Did you take the bulb out of the pool and put it in a light socket and see if it lights normally?

You check with a voltmeter that you have 120V AC at the pool light socket?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now, when I flip on the switch, it comes on very faintly and dim. It's nowhere near as bright as it should be.

How does the brightness vary with the colors? Some colors will be brighter than others.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.