Help! Spa Level Advice needed

BPool18

Jun 14, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
Hi All,

Back in April, we moved into our new house. The previous owners had bought (2 years ago - 2016) a Bullfrog A8. It was sunken into the deck. I noticed (after the move :/), that the hottub wasn’t level. Did some measurements and it’s about 2-2.5” off on the right side. See attached picture.

I found out that the previous owners had an older hottub which they replaced with the one that’s currently there in 2016. The Bullfrog happened to be about a foot shorter in height than the older hottub. As a result (in order to sit flush with the deck), the previous owners had placed a 8x8 wooden frame (comprised of 2x4s) on the concrete slab to make up the difference (see picture)

Since 2016, there’s obviously been some settling of the slab, hence the unlevel nature of the tub.

I’m going to drain the tub and replace the water for the fall/winter season in a couple of weeks and I’m trying to figure out my options. My concern if the settling were to continue, the shell would come in contact with the deck and could crack the shell. It should be noted that I have seen ZERO movement in additional settling since I first noticed this issue 4 months ago.

Option 1: jack up the hottub (while drained empty) and shim between the slab and the frame.

This is probably a temp fix but a little more cost effective than leveling the slab itself. I’m just concerned with jacking up the hottub...not sure if there is a valid concern there or not.

My other option is to do nothing and to wait and see what happens. It’s not enough of a difference to cause issues while using it and
just a mild annoyance to feel that 2-3” drop while moving between sides while in it. I just don’t know if it’s going to get worse. And if it does, Doing option 1 in December or January might be a pain.

Would appreciate any thoughts or other ideas...thank you.

Attachments

• F792D6C3-CBC6-4A12-9517-D4689F7FB4A1.jpg
    F792D6C3-CBC6-4A12-9517-D4689F7FB4A1.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 9D18A1B3-7F41-4D8E-AC7B-3F6DC36AEB76.jpg
    9D18A1B3-7F41-4D8E-AC7B-3F6DC36AEB76.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 40
Ok, i will take a shot at how I would handle it......Not saying this is the best advice or that it will be easy/fast I would drain the tub, and remove it from where it is sitting. I would then assess whether the concrete under the tub is stable enough or need completely removed. If I deemed the concrete had just settled and wasn't going anywhere I would build a frame that could be attached to legs like 4x6 posts. these could be attached directly to the concrete and then the frame could be attached to the posts and leveled up All of this could be done such that the frame could almost sit on the concrete on one side and then be raised off the concrete on the areas where the concrete has sloped/settled. Honestly if it was me I would build the platform so that the hot tub sits up above the deck by 12"-14" which makes it way easier to get into and out of. Just my two cents.

This is what I did with mine and I love the height it's at. Easy to get into and out of.

Since you have to drain a hot tub every three or four months anyway, I see no issues with your first plan..

Drain the water, jack the tub up, and do what you need to do to re-level the previous owners "shims"...

If the deck itself is level, then the problem can't be settling.. it would be that the left side, in your pic, has heaved up.

Lifting the empty hot tub up should not be an issue. I assume you are talking about jacking up from the bottom of the tub and not the lip at the top.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the reply. It’s an interesting idea. And I’d actually like the extra height. The challenge is removing it from where it’s sitting. I can jack it up but to completely remove would prob need some sort of small crane machine. I believe how that it was dropped in the first place. Not sure if that’s an option for the budget..:)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Jim. Yes, my thoughts on the jacking (from the bottom). I guess my only concern from the jacking up is for some reason the tub touches/hits the side of the deck (since it’s a tight fit). But probably not an issue.

Even though it hasn’t moved in 3-4 months, Doesn’t most movement and settling occur in winter? So maybe that’s when it would happen.

I woukd be adding shims on the lower side, between the concrete and the “wood frame”.

The deck is fairly level. Why couldn’t it be settling on that one side of the concrete slab? The deck at that point is tied into the brick (lag bolts)...not on a girder/post at that area where the tub is lower.

I would be cautious about lifting a 2x4 frame and shimming it on one end. I would be afraid that frame would bow and put stress on the tub. Maybe it's fine but in my opinion you need to see how the 2x4 frame is built and I just don't see 2x4s supporting that weight with water over an 8 foot span. I think there will be bowing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.