Vacuum recommendation

Jun 3, 2017
TX
Hello! I've owned my pool for about 1.5 years now and am still learning all the time. Someone recently recommended I get a pool vac (already have a Polaris 280; they meant a manual vacuum). I see most of the threads in this section are for automatic pool vacs. Can anyone recommend how I should go about choosing a manual vacuum that will do a good job for the lowest possible cost? What other equipment will I need (already have a telescoping pole).

Why do you (or "someone") think you need a manual pool vac? I have one, but never use it, or need to. My current auto vac does a great job of keeping my pool clean, as did my Polaris 280 before this one.

The someone was the owner from my pool company--I had them out to inspect a few spots in the coping, and they suggested it after noticing dirt and finer debris accumulating on my pool steps and a few areas on the pool bottom. He wasn't trying to sell me one; just giving pool care advice. Perhaps the dust is symptomatic of another issue or maybe just all the pollen and other stuff Houston is prone to.

Most vacs don't do steps, that's normal. I have to brush mine off so the dirt can then be filtered or vacuumed. You could do the same for the stuff on the bottom, or maybe your vac needs adjusting, or an increase in runtime. Nothing wrong with your manual vacuuming plan, at all. I just know I'm too lazy to want to do that! A well-optimized cleaner should be able to keep the entire bottom clean, shelves and benches not so much. Robot owners can weigh in about how well their 'bots do on steps.

Steps, shelves and etc are a challenge for most if not all automatic cleaners, occasionally you will see cleaners get up on them but it's not something we design around or claim. For all types of cleaners, steps usually mean lower water lines, while a pressure cleaner will work above the water line, suction cleaners can suck in air and you will lose prime, and electric robots typically have water sensors or water sensing to shut them off. It all depends, I wouldn't say never, but it's not something you can expect 100% all the time.

As mentioned, just getting a brush and manually cleaning your stairs and etc. is fast and easy, let cleaner pick it up after you brush.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.