Can DE Alternatives change pump effectiveness

AJB1234

Gold Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Newport Beach, CA
Hi TFP,

I have a dedicated VS pump for a raised negative edge spill over. I recently noticed that the water is no longer spilling over the entire wall causing dry spots when the pump is on low speed. I did recently clean the filter and change from de to aqua perl (de alternative). Filter psi is 18 (also the clean psi). I think the spill edge pump bypasses the filter and goes to the pool??? Hope I am making sense with this one.

Thanks for helping out!

I doubt the water to the spillover bypasses the filter. You either have a makeup line to the spa or your diverter valve is partially open to the spa all the time.

The alternative filter media could be more restrictive to the water flow and thus less water is flowing through the system. Was the pressure you state (18psi) the same with a clean filter with the DE?

The change in filter media likely affected your flow. I tried alternative DE media and returned to DE.

You can try and increase your pump speed a bit. Or return to DE.

If it's a separate pump for the infinity edge, it probably doesn't go through the filter. Check the pump basket and catch basin intake to make sure that they are clean. Make sure that the catch basin has enough water.

Do you have a picture of the system?

Its a separate pump for the infinity edge overflow so I'm almost positive it bypasses the filter.

The intakes are clean ( at least what I can deternine by the visual inspection)

Filter is running clean at 18psi (just cleaned it)

Can I backwash and then add de to see if there is a change or do I need to clean the filter by taking it apart?

See pic

Thanks20180918_090831.jpg.

I don't think that the infinity edge pump goes through the filter.

Does the filter pressure change when you turn the infinity edge pump on or off?

What is the model number of the edge pump and what rpm is low speed?

Nothing is labeled, plumbing is tight, and we can't see the flow from the filter to wherever. Need more detailed pictures that let us see the entire complex.

Which pump does what?

Great Question: The filter is at 0 PSI when just the infinity edge pump is on (whether high or low speed).

MODEL- Hayward HL32950VSP

Thanks for helping me!

I don't think that the infinity edge pump goes through the filter.

Does the filter pressure change when you turn the infinity edge pump on or off?

What is the model number of the edge pump and what rpm is low speed?

- - - Updated - - -

The pump on the far left is for the infinity edge (sitting between the acid & chlorine tanks). The pump doesnt go through the filter as the psi doesnt change when on/off (thanks JamesW).

Nothing is labeled, plumbing is tight, and we can't see the flow from the filter to wherever. Need more detailed pictures that let us see the entire complex.

Which pump does what?

The TriStar VS 950 is a 2.7 hp total pump.

What speed is low speed and what is the length of the infinity edge?

If it used to work, it implies that something has changed. Usually a clogged intake grate or pump basket.

If those are clear, make sure that the pump basket is installed correctly.

The infinity edge needs to be as close to perfectly straight and level as possible. Any deviation can cause dry spots at lower flow.

Does the edge look perfectly straight and level?

Does the water begin going over the entire edge at the same time or does it start going over at one spot first?

Higher water flow can compensate for an uneven ledge but it costs more to run the pump at high speed.

The impeller might be clogged but that should be a last check because you have to open the pump to check the impeller.

Hi JamesW-

Thanks for your help with this. For some reason today everything was working... not sure what changed as I didn't do anything (there wasn't wind yesterday either). Let's see what happens tomorrow. Thanks again, AJB

- - - Updated - - -

BTW- The aquaperl is making my pool much clearer- The lights at night have almost zero haze prior to when using DE! Amazon is shipping fake aqua perl perlite right now so be careful!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.