Sand Filter Change

Arrib

Sep 15, 2018
Johannesburg
Hi all,
I have a speck aquaswim3 filter which I replaced the sand today (3 bags).
After a long a tedious process, I finally completed the job and back washed the pool after which ran with no issue.

However, when I wanted to change it back to filter, the multiport valve was stuck. I took off the valve, cleaned it out and is now able to be moved again.

The bigger problem I have now is that I noticed the pump weir was full of the new sand and the motor has only hums now and does not kick over.
I took a flat screwdriver and tried to manually turn the impeller but it would not budge.

This leads to me to that for some reason the new sand has somehow ended up in the motor and more likely all the pipes connected to the filter.
What I do not understand is that I replaced the sand with 3 bags as per Speck's website and the backwash went fine without any issue.

Tomorrow, I will open the pump and see if I can get the sand out but I would like to know has anyone had this problem before and what is the solution?
Do I need to remove some of the new sand in the filter but more importantly I hope I have not damaged anything?
(The laterals or fingers if you will are fine and I was cautious not to break anything when cleaning today).

Please can someone let me know urgently as I am now at a complete standstill after breaking my back the entire day cleaning the filter and removing the old sand.

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

It sounds suspiciously like the lines to / from the filter are on backwards. Can you post a picture of the equipment?

Please add a signature. Read Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.

If you are interested in learning more about TFPC, I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

I have added a signature as to where I am from what my pool specs is according to my knowledge.
When I removed the old sand this morning, no lines, hoses or pipes were disconnected, I only removed the old sand, put in the new one (3 bags) as per the filter spec, back washed it which was fine.
When i wanted put the valve back to Filter, it was stuck so I removed it, washed it down with the hose pipe and it was able to move positions again.

After this I noticed the weir basked inside the pool pump was full of the new sand and the impellor would not move.

Is it possible that I added too much sand?

I will take a photo tomorrow morning (it's night time here now) and upload but if anyone has any idea, it would be great because I am stumped.

The only thing I can think of is that I added too much sand but that's what pump filter spec is.

I think I found my problem, I took the hose pipe and pushed it into the inlet pipe from the pump hole by the weir bucket.
I whole lot of pool sand came flying out which I suspect was causing the blockage.

After which I then turned on the filter which appears to be trickling in water from the pool weir. Unfortunately I noticed that the top pipe clamp (screw) is leaking, so presume some plumbers tape will do the trick.

Hopefully this will sort it out - I wanted to take a photo but it's too dark at this time of night.

At no point should the sand be able to reach the pump basket, unless you are vacuuming sand from the pool floor. My best guess is that the pluming is backwards, like the pump is pulling water from the filter.
Please take a picture.
It should look something like this.
84fc861be0f57f3394bb1ce332dd2f91.jpg

Hi, sorry for the late reply - but it's finally fixed after replacing the pipes and seals.
Is it normal that the new sand would be blown back into the pool? It's since settled down but I would like to understand?

It was back breaking work but I am proud of it.
I just need to add chemicals later to clear up the water.

IMG_3607.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.