Start First SLAM-

Aug 27, 2018
Plano
I am down in Dallas and I have stocked up on liquid chlorine.... but it looks like it may rain over the next week (20%+- chance).... is it best to wait until it looks like there will be a week or so of clear weather?

Also, any tips/tricks are appreciated.

Thanks,

Re: Start First SLAM-wait tell no rain?

The pool does not care if it rains, it is already wet. So move forward. It will actually help you as less sun will mean less chlorine loss due to UV.

Test FC and add LC every couple hours the first day or two. Run your pump (at low rpm if VS) all the time. Brush a couple times a day. Remove the light from the light niche if appropriate. Check your weir door, skimmer, etc for algae.

I agree with the above with the caveat of whether you think you will get so much rain they you will be overflowing (like I have been in San Antonio the last week).

You can still SLAM if overflowing, you just have to monitor it closer as your FC, organic load, and CYA are all changing continuously.

Between 20 and 100 gallons.

We really have no idea. Depends on how much of a swamp it is, test data, how often your test and dose, etc.

Alright so I jumped in this weekend. Let me know if we need different test numbers.

These were the original numbers from yesterday.
Ph:7.5
FC: 1.5
CYA:35

I ran the numbers on the calculator and added several gallons of 6% (and some 10% that I am certain was diluted as it didn't work as it should). I got the Fc up to the target of 14 ppm last night and checked it this morning and it dropped to 9, so I added to recommended amount.

My questions so far are;
-Can it never drop below the target Fc?
-How often do I need to check? I work a standard 8-5 but could run home to check if needed.
-When do I know when I should try the Overnight test?

Use a CYA of 40, round up. You cannot measure a CYA of 35, the scale is logarithmic.

Your FC can drop below SLAM level, but the more it does the longer the SLAM takes.

At the start, every 2-3 hours is best. At least before work, lunch, after work, after dinner, before bed.

When the water is crystal clear, do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

Cool. Well, the water was already really clear (I can see the drain perfectly at 7 ft deep. The problem is the Algae keeps coming around every couple days and I have noticed that some darker (maybe black) algae has started to grow in certain spots. This darker algae is very hard/impossible to get off with my wire brush.

I expected a SLAM to help kill this off?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am continuing this slam. It keeps dropping pretty consistently every couple of hours and lose about 4 ppm overnight in FC. I have been going since Sunday. Anything else I should be doing to speed this along? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Brush. Test every few hours and add LC. Keep you pump running 24 hours. Check light niches, skimmer weir doors, etc.

Can take many days.

Even if the algae will not brush off, the act of brushing disrupts the biofilm and allows the chlorine to attack it.

Has the algae you show been present for a long time? Are you confident it is algae?

If it just appeared then it is most likely algae. I was thinking metals. Iron or copper. Have you tried vitamin c crushed up in a sock and set on the area for a few minutes to see if the color changes?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.