Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Noticed a change in my skimmers

1. Back To Top    #1

Noticed a change in my skimmers

I have 2 skimmers in my pool. 1 is approx 15-20 ft from the pumps, the other is approx 40 ft or so away. Normally the skimmer closest to the pumps is pulling more water as I can see a more pronounced current of water moving through it. The one furthur away is not as pronounce with the way the water is moving through it.

Recently however, this has completely reversed. The skimmer farthest away has more of a current than the one closest and it seems the one closer the water barely moves at all.

Sorry if this does not make sense.

Any ideas what I should look for? Ideally I would like both of them to be the same.
    14100 gallon IG Gunite Pool
    Sapphire Smoke Quartz Plaster
    Pentair SunTouch Controller, Intelliflo 4x160 Pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor SWG System
    Legend Platinum Cleaner with booster pump
    My Pool Build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Noticed a change in my skimmers

The weir (door) on the closer skimmer may be stuck closed or there could be an obstruction in the line.

If each skimmer line has it's own valve, you could close down the closer skimmer to equalize the draw between the 2.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    The weir (door) on the closer skimmer may be stuck closed or there could be an obstruction in the line.

If each skimmer line has it's own valve, you could close down the closer skimmer to equalize the draw between the 2.
    Door is open. Is it safe to run a plumbing snake through the piping. Assume it would be. Only have the one valve for the 2 skimmers.
    Thanks.
    14100 gallon IG Gunite Pool
    Sapphire Smoke Quartz Plaster
    Pentair SunTouch Controller, Intelliflo 4x160 Pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor SWG System
    Legend Platinum Cleaner with booster pump
    My Pool Build

4. Back To Top    #4

Your skimmers are plumbed 'in series' ( ) On Hayward skimmers, there is a plate / flap that can be used to partially close the suction port for the skimmer that is drawing more than the other.

With the system off! - You can certainly run a snake through the line - sometimes there are too many 90* bends to make this practical
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)