New Pool in Round Rock Texas

Collin228

Bronze Supporter
Aug 16, 2018
Austin, TX
Hello all,

We signed a contract with Sylvan Pools in Austin and are waiting for our loan to fund this week, construction should start in a week or two. I will write the specs quoted below, but are seriously considering switching to a SWCG option. It is a wash price wise with the UV system quoted. I have read a ton on salt pools, but am having a tough time deciding. I have spoken to multiple people locally that have gone back to chlorine for multiple reason. Namely the water is hard here so they were having to clean the "plates" too often, issues keeping enough chlorine in the pool, replacing cells too often, and equipment possible being corroded. There are multiple people in the neighborhood that swear by chlorine and UV (I know that is frowned upon on this this site). If we do go salt what would you recommend for coping? What about the back wall? The decking is a stamped concrete.

Custom rectangular gunite pool 15x30
14,312 Gallons
Leuders Coping
Raised Travertine back wall with 4 foot Sheer Descent
2.7 HP Variable speed pump
IQ 904P wireless control system
1 bubbler
Raypak 399K BTU Heater
1 Hayward LED light
A&S Stonescape French Gray plaster
5 1/2" tile allowance we haven't chosen yet
Browncoat on the back of the pool
Delta UV system or Jandy Fusion Soft SWCG
460 Cart Pool Filter
1 Skimmer and 4 returns

Anything else?
Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

Thank you,
Collin

Hi Collin. I'm in Round Rock to and still interview builders. I hope to make a final selection in the next month or so. Your pool design is much like mine will be. I'll be going with SWG and depths of 4' - 6'. I look forward to seeing yours progress through the stages.

Hi Collin. I'm in Round Rock to and still interview builders. I hope to make a final selection in the next month or so. Your pool design is much like mine will be. I'll be going with SWG and depths of 4' - 6'. I look forward to seeing yours progress through the stages.

Awesome. Are you not debating SWCG or Chlorine? I have had a good experience with Aaron Dumas from Anthony and Sylvan so far, he was able to take what we wanted and make a great design.

Collin

Collin,

You do realize that a Saltwater pool is a Chlorine pool. A SWCG, simply takes the salt in the pool and uses it to make chlorine.

Ask all your buds with UV how often they have to "shock" their pools... Ask them how many times a year do their pools go green or cloudy.

The salt level in a saltwater pool is about the same as what is in your tears... I have yet to have my face rot off after I have watched a sad movie.. :cool:

The key in my mind is, who is going to be maintaining your pool. If you, then I vote to saltwater.. If it is going to be a pool service, then it really does not matter what type of sanitizer you use, as you can count on it not being properly maintained any way.

Thanks for posting and nice looking pool..

Jim R.

Hello all,

I have decided to go with the SWCG and had a few questions. It looks like I am going to switch the Luder coping to concrete and change the travertine sheer descent with tile. What would you all recommend? We do like glass tiles, would those look good and do they last? Any other recommendations?

Thank you!

Collin

Collin,
I found a good white concrete coping tiles 12" x 24" that I'll be using. I didn't like the look of OK Flagstone and besides it was OK...LOL I had been reading that glass tiles will show calcium deposits more...so I'll be going with a ceramic or porcelain tile for waterlines. But I'm sure others with chime in that already has glass tiles in their pools. I'm still dreaming :)

This part confuses me as a noobie; so how does this type of pool water feel? Is it that soft slimy salt water feel or classic dry chlorine feel?

a,

Soft, but not all "slimy"... When I get out of a non-saltwater pool I feel like I need a shower.. When I get out of a saltwater pool, I feel like I just took a shower...

Keep in mind it is not the ocean... most saltwater pools have about 3,500 ppm of salt... the ocean has 35,000 ppm of salt, plus seaweed... :p

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello all,

I have decided to go with the SWCG and had a few questions. It looks like I am going to switch the Luder coping to concrete and change the travertine sheer descent with tile. What would you all recommend? We do like glass tiles, would those look good and do they last? Any other recommendations?

Thank you!

Collin

Collen,

While I love the look of glass tile, I also believe that the less grout you have the better off you will be.

I have a rent house that had small tiles (not glass) when I bought the place. The grout lines were a constant problem until I had the small tiles replaced with standard 6 x 6 tiles.. and then again, it was at the same time I found TFP.. :confused:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hello all!

I wanted to post a few updates. We had a ton of rain as you can see from my photos, but we have Gunite and waiting for it to cure. We are super excited and couldn't be happier with Anthony and Sylvan as well as how the pool looks so far.

Luckily when the hole filled with one day of rain, my neighbor had a sump pump that i borrowed to drain the pool. There are other pools the builder is building that collapsed from the rain.
IMG_1068.jpgIMG_1078.jpgIMG_1089.jpgIMG_1109.jpgIMG_1116.jpgIMG_1125.jpg

Collin

Ok I need some advice. They were going to install the travertine yesterday behind the sheer descent and I saw the opened travertine and it looked really bad. The stone was rusted and breaking apart so I called an audible and had them use the glass tile we had for the waterline instead. Now the wife and I are worried the glass tile is too busy. 2 questions. What do you think of the tile and what should be on top of the raised portion? We change our coping choice from leuder stone to cantilever cement so I am not sure what will be add on top... we are having a company come in to do stamped concrete on top of the concrete on our deck and coping, maybe they can match the color? Once the sun comes up I will post some pictures.9D4A44AA-A0CA-43A2-BC4A-FBA66D7D5E6C.jpg

Hey Collin. I like the colors. It will pick up all the shades of the water. Have you looked into the 1"x2" subway tiles of the same colors? I'm going with tile up my back wall as well with the same tile as the waterline. PB in the permit stages now.

I wanted to post an update. After months of work and delays the pool is almost complete. Plaster is being sprayed today and I will post final pictures. So far our favorite recent addition is the decking and coping. The local company spent a week installing this quartz coat cement deck and coping. I think it looks great.

8220204A-AD4D-4C2D-9876-1F4E82E22B1E.jpg2937D4C9-376E-4A20-8D3F-3330750D8DE3.jpg8E16859F-356D-482E-83B7-14F29C2DCCDE.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.