Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: skimmer question

1. Back To Top    #1

skimmer question

New question for the group about skimmer placement. I was next door this afternoon looking at my neighbors pool which will be exactly like mine (12x24x42 grecian true-L) including orientation. The wind here in OK can blow pretty good at times and today it was out of the south which is kind of typical for summer(blowing toward the diving end). Their two skimmers are both on the east wall so it appears to me that the wind will simply blow all of the junk right past them to the north end of the pool. Since we have a grecian, would it be a good idea to put a skimmer in each of the clipped corners and let the wind do the work. PB says that there will be enough returns (5) to keep the water moving. Maybe so, but I don't see the junk making a right turn to go into the skimmers when the wind is blowing 20 or 30 mph. Any thoughts on skimmer placement would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    inground liner Grecian "L"
    34000 gallons
    1 HP whisperflo, TA100 sand filter
    Autopilot digital SWG, SC-60 cell
    Hayward Colorlogic LED lights

2. Back To Top    #2
    You for sure want to consider the prevailing wind when planning where to put skimmers. Normally the idea is to get the stuff to drift by the skimmer near the wall and the flow will pull it in.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    John's advice is on the money...put 'em downwind.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I almost mentioned it when I replied to another of your posts but, 2 skimmers in a true "L" is pushing it, unless one was able to take care of the shallow end. Having the returns positioned correctly is also fairly key. Yes, do take prevalent winds into account when planning skimmer placement, why try to fight Ma Nature?
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)