Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hi,
Newbie to pool build...process already underway and hoping I've done my research on here.

Pool:
Gunite 18'W x 46'L (3.5' - 8' depth) rectangle w/raised Spa 7'x7'
Raised beam w/3 Sheer descents
2 LED lights 500 watts pool - 100 watt spa

1-PUR-15-0736 460736 400K BTU NG IID Mastertemp low nox heater
1-PAC-05-507 160332 520sq ft Clean & Clear plus cartridge filter
1-PUR-10-383 011775 2.5HP 208-230V ur Whisperflow pump
1-PUR-10-383 011516 3HP 208-230V UR Whisperflow Pump
2-LET-10-0005 LA-MS05 1.1HP 115/230V EE boost-rite booster pump
15- JDY-56-4054 4716 12/CS 2"-2.5" 2port CPVC neverlube valve
3-JDY-56-4055 4717 12/CS 2"-2.5" 3port CPVC neverlube valve
2-7305 12/CS 2"-2.5" Straight CPVC Check Valve
6-SPG-56-2001 21063-200-000 2" MPTX2s Hi-Temp Union w/oring
1-JDY-85-8041 PSB220 2HP 240V Spa Air Blower
1-COM-30-0545 520545 Easytouch 8SC-IC40 Pool/Spa Control w/SCG
1-CIN-30-2104 522104 Screenlogic2 wireless interface bundle
Inline-chlorinator

Excavation:
All turf removed
2 live oaks removed
existing patio removed
pool will be hand dug corners
Includes pre-grading of 12" or more depending on scope of project.

Steel:
10" Centers of alternate rebar yeidling a 5"x10" grid with 3/8" #3bar.
Solid perimeter pool beam will include a 12"x12"/(4 BAR BOX using 1/2" #4 rebar
Lifetime structural warranty
Quartz Plaster
All electrical
All excavation
New drainage

Gunite:
6 sack dry mix- mixed and shot on site.
Maximum structure thickness - Walls: 12", Floors: 12", Coves: 12", Perimeter Beam: 12"x12" box.

Decking: 925 sq ft Concrete (brushed)
Luders coping and top of spa and wall
yard before pool 1.jpgExcavation.jpgDig day1.jpg

M,

The only thing that raises a red flag to me is that it appears you are using single speed pumps???

Running a SWCG and with a single speed pump is a huge mistake. You will spend more in one day on electricity then I spend all month.

Unless that was just a typo, I suggest you trade in your main pump for a 3 HP IntelliFlo that your automation can control.

Good job going with an EasyTouch 8 with SWCG..

Good job on getting ScreenLogic2, you will love it.

Good job going with a saltwater pool. Very easy to take care of..

Good job on getting a large filter.

Make sure you get your TF-100 Test kit, SpeedStir, and K-1766 salt test kit before the pool opens so you can be on top of things.

Thanks,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

Make sure they install you pump with "Pump Unions".. they do not come with the pump, so you will need to supply them or tell the pool builder what you want.

So, I forgot that we changed back to chlorine and not SWCG- too many PB against here in Dallas. Not sure why other than corrosion and damage to stone, but regardless, now simple chlorine pool.
Confirmed with PB that Main pump is 2.5 hp Variable speed. Sheer Descents have their own 1.5HP booster pump which is why main is only 2.5 -
I will be receiving all updated equipment list in the next 24 hrs and will post here.

Are the pump unions so that if there is a problem at the pump, they don't have to cut the pipes to fix, but rather unscrew the unions? My PB says they will have them put on (how do I know?)

QUOTE=Jimrahbe;1517366]M,

The only thing that raises a red flag to me is that it appears you are using single speed pumps???

Running a SWCG and with a single speed pump is a huge mistake. You will spend more in one day on electricity then I spend all month.

Unless that was just a typo, I suggest you trade in your main pump for a 3 HP IntelliFlo that your automation can control.

Good job going with an EasyTouch 8 with SWCG..

Good job on getting ScreenLogic2, you will love it.

Good job going with a saltwater pool. Very easy to take care of..

Good job on getting a large filter.

Make sure you get your TF-100 Test kit, SpeedStir, and K-1766 salt test kit before the pool opens so you can be on top of things.

Thanks,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

Make sure they install you pump with "Pump Unions".. they do not come with the pump, so you will need to supply them or tell the pool builder what you want.[/QUOTE]

Are the pump unions so that if there is a problem at the pump, they don't have to cut the pipes to fix, but rather unscrew the unions? My PB says they will have them put on (how do I know?)

There are a couple reasons to use pump unions.. the first in my book is that they prevent leaks around the input and output pipes to the pump. Pump unions have an O-Ring that prevents the leaks vs. the normal pipe thread and tape connection, which almost always leaks after a few years.

They also make installation much easier and, as you note, it means you can take the pump out for repair, or replacement, without having to cut the plumbing.

They look like this... https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwja4entjIPdAhXYtsAKHdTeC9wYABAZGgJpbQ&sig=AOD64_0d-FZJEroLaqw-3Ex0Gmux3sJa0g&ctype=5&rct=j&q=&ved=0ahUKEwie9-TtjIPdAhUMR6wKHVGrCQoQ9aACCNcB&adurl=

You can see on the threaded end an O-Ring, which is the magic part.

You can't buy them at Home Depot and don't look like this... https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwj0w7_QjoPdAhUD1sAKHU5pD6EYABASGgJpbQ&sig=AOD64_179OLaPcap6Q3H8lxmYeMoP161kw&ctype=5&rct=j&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjLprrQjoPdAhUKIqwKHRtPCRkQ9aACCEI&adurl=

I am sorry to hear you are not going saltwater... I suspect there will be a "I told you so" moment in your future... :cool:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you Jim, for the clarifications. I am trying to work with my PB on the items you mentioned. It seems I have 1 pump for polaris, 1 pump for sheer descents and 1 main pump...do all these have to be variable speed? I probably will have a "I told you so moment" for sure.

Thank you Jim, for the clarifications. I am trying to work with my PB on the items you mentioned. It seems I have 1 pump for polaris, 1 pump for sheer descents and 1 main pump...do all these have to be variable speed? I probably will have a "I told you so moment" for sure.

The only one that really needs to be VS is the main pool pump... If you are still getting the EasyTouch it will have to be an IntelliFlo style pump..

I know you think you will be running the sheer descents all the time, but once the newness wears off, I suspect not nearly so much, so a single speed pump would work. A VS pump used on a waterfall will have to run near full speed all the time.. Making it not so "variable"..

Booster pumps are what people use to run pressure side cleaners and they are all single speed pumps... It is kind of like using one of those old black rotary-dial phones instead of a cell phone... :p

I suggest you search for "Robots" on this site and see what they are all about. Use the search box in the upper right of your screen.

I have a robot and love it. Just plug it in and off it goes, no pumps required. But like everything, there are always two side to every story.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The only one that really needs to be VS is the main pool pump... If you are still getting the EasyTouch it will have to be an IntelliFlo style pump..

I know you think you will be running the sheer descents all the time, but once the newness wears off, I suspect not nearly so much, so a single speed pump would work. A VS pump used on a waterfall will have to run near full speed all the time.. Making it not so "variable"..

Booster pumps are what people use to run pressure side cleaners and they are all single speed pumps... It is kind of like using one of those old black rotary-dial phones instead of a cell phone... :p

I suggest you search for "Robots" on this site and see what they are all about. Use the search box in the upper right of your screen.

I have a robot and love it. Just plug it in and off it goes, no pumps required. But like everything, there are always two side to every story.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I am still waiting my model numbers on pool equipment. Frustrating that they will not provide. I also changed to the Dolphin S300i robot but keeping the plumbing for future polaris if needed. Today we are at stage of deck form. Thank you for all the help. It's still needed and appreciated.
Resized Pool 2.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I received a revised list of model numbers and noticed some changes made:
1. Easy touch went from a 520545 to a 520540 (No ICP and I'm not sure what I'm now missing in this change, but almost a $700 price difference). I don't see the actual remote controller so I can only use with phone, correct?
2. 2.5hp pump went to 2hp
3. 3hp pump got changed to Variable speed intelliflo (this was needed)
4. size and quantities of valves changed from 2"-2.5" to 1.5"-2" (not sure this is an issue)
5. Pool lights added
6. Robot added
7. blower silencer added, but blower itself was removed (verifying mistake with PB)
HERE ARE NEW MODEL NUMBERS (quantities first):
1 - COM-30-0540
520540 EASYTOUCH 8 POOL/SPA CONTROL
1 - COM-30-2104
522104 SCREENLOGIC2 WIRELESS INTERFACE BUNDLE
1 - PAC-05-507
160332 520SQF CLEAN & CLEAR PLUS CARTRIDGE FILTER
1 - PUR-15-0736
460736 400K BTU NG IID MASTERTEMP LOW NOX HEATER
1 - PUR-10-382
011774 2HP 115/208-230V UR WHISPERFLO PUMP
1 -PUR-10-1662
011056 3HP 230V INTELLIFLO
VSF VARIABLE SPEED & FLOW PUMP
2 -JDY-56-4083
7235 12/CS 1.5"-2" STRAIGHT CPVC CHECK VALVE
3 - JDY-56-4052
4724 12/CS 1.5"-2" 2-PORT CPVC NEVERLUBE VALVE
2 - JDY-56-4053
4715 12/CS 1.5"-2" 3-PORT CPVC NEVERLUBE VALVE
1 - MAY-20-1108
99996225-USW DOLPHIN S300I IG ROBOTIC POOL CLEANER
2 - AMP-30-2001
601001 120V 50© COLOR POOL INTELLIBRITE 5G LED LIGHT
1 - AMP-30-0121
640121 120V 50© COLOR
SPA INTELLIBRITE 5G LED LIGHT
4 - PRA-56-4101
200-906 50/CS 2"MPTx2"S HI-TEMP UNION W/ ORING
1 - AIR-85-8412
6316220 1.5HP 240V SILENCER AIR BLOWER

Thank you for the help. I feel like this should have been addressed earlier.
Mike

Mike,

The ICP is an Indoor Control Panel. It is not required as you can control the Easytouch from the outside panel, as well as from your PC, Cellphone, or tablet.

We have members here that only have the ICP and no ScreenLogic, and members that have just ScreenLogic and no ICP, and some members that have both. It is not a major deal one way or the other...

In my case, I do 99% of my interface with the pool using my PC..

I don't see anything in your list that I see as a red flag...

Thanks,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

The difference between the 520545 and the 520540 is not the ICP... the 545 has a salt system and the 540 does not... Neither comes with and ICP...

nice choice on the robot. i have the same. it does a great job. easy to clean. works well. i have been using the ultra clean mode more and more cause it slows the sped of the bot down as it moves and it deff cleans better in the same amount of time.

I would switch back to the larger Jandy valves. Minimal cost difference and less restriction and fittings with 2" pipe.

Thank you! I will ask PB to switch back.

- - - Updated - - -

Mike,

The ICP is an Indoor Control Panel. It is not required as you can control the Easytouch from the outside panel, as well as from your PC, Cellphone, or tablet.

We have members here that only have the ICP and no ScreenLogic, and members that have just ScreenLogic and no ICP, and some members that have both. It is not a major deal one way or the other...

In my case, I do 99% of my interface with the pool using my PC..

I don't see anything in your list that I see as a red flag...

Thanks,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

The difference between the 520545 and the 520540 is not the ICP... the 545 has a salt system and the 540 does not... Neither comes with and ICP...

Thank you so much! I started researching and noticed the difference as well (it's amazing what ya find when you actually look ha ha)

It seems localized to that area. Is there any pressurized plumbing there, like an autofill?

It might be from a high water table. If it is, I would be concerned about the hydraulic pressure that might lift the pool.

Did they hit water when digging?

If yes, at what depth?

It might be water build up from rain if you've had rain. Maybe poor drainage is causing the soil to remain waterlogged for extended periods.

Do you get standing water between the pool wall and the fence?

Constant water pressure from the outside can weaken the plaster's bond to the gunite/shotcrete.

Did the builder put a well point under the pool or a well next to the pool to control the water?

We hit no water while digging to 9 feet. We had a week of solid rainfall and we just had all drains replaced based on engineers design (then doubled it). Water behind pool wall to fence all graded to alley. It’s been two full days of no rain and water still coming in. They want to plaster Monday/Tuesday

It’s 33 degrees here in Dallas this morning and PB is here to plaster (quartzscapes) the pool. I’m worried it’s too dang cold for the application of this stuff. I read a post on this forum about this very issue and PB keeps saying it will be fine. I feel they just want paid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.