Gunite applied over 2 days?

Mar 29, 2009
OK, this is my first post and I really need some help/advice. After several months of planning, picking the pool builder, etc., we finally started our pool build this week. The hole was dug earlier in the week and gunite was scheduled for today.

Unfortunately the gunite crew didn't start until 3:00 or so and it got dark before they finished. As such they are now scheduled to come back tomorrow to finish the pool.

Is this going to be a problem for me? I always thought you should pour concrete in one application and while I realize there is a difference between gunite and concrete, I would think the same rule would apply.

Am I worrying needlessly or is this an issue?

Thanks in advance

Joe

jchurley said:
Unfortunately the gunite crew didn't start until 3:00 or so and it got dark before they finished. As such they are now scheduled to come back tomorrow to finish the pool.

Is this going to be a problem for me? I always thought you should pour concrete in one application and while I realize there is a difference between gunite and concrete, I would think the same rule would apply.
Hey Joe! A (belated) welcome to the forum! :-D

The industry/gunite members may overrule my opinion, but I have heard of projects that take multiple days to complete and don't know of any serious downside excepting gunite that is mixed or applied improperly. Of course, this could happen with a single-application as well as to several applications.

No need to worry! We can't shoot an Olympic pool in a day, and the industry does not recognize a cold joint in a pool. Large pools can often take several days to shoot, so unless there is poor workmanship (like polyvue mentioned) there should be no issues!

Relax and enjoy the process :cheers:

Bruce

PS Here's an example of a pool I built about a year ago, and we didn't get it shot in a day!

Attachments

• La Residencia.JPG
    La Residencia.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 270
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.