Newly poured brushed concrete- am I being picky?

May 26, 2018
Frankfort, IL
Hi All,
we are currently nearing the end of installation of a fiberglass pool with 8 feet of brushed concrete surrounding. Concrete was poured two days ago so we finally got to check it out up close. I’m a little disappointed at how sharp/rough the edges are. Is this pretty typical and do you think I should say something? I had thought the edges would be more rounded. Is it fixable?

Attachments

• 3048F632-EB59-4F4D-9D52-60F441FDD357.jpg
    3048F632-EB59-4F4D-9D52-60F441FDD357.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 193
  • D65261B8-1108-4A82-8643-9297DCDA808A.jpg
    D65261B8-1108-4A82-8643-9297DCDA808A.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 191
What was specified for your concrete in your design contract?

Concrete can be smoothed and formed in many ways when poured. But once it has hardened it would take a lot of grinding to smooth or shape it.

I was there when they laid our forms and had to brush them out because they were full of dried cement and dirt. Mine ended up ok, smoother than yours.

Here's a picture of a frigging big fly and my cement to compare to yours. IMG_2986.jpg

Did you understand what the brushed in “brushed concrete” meant?

what-is-the-difference-between-brushed-finished-concrete-slabs

I definitely understand what brushed concrete is. We have this on our patio but the edges are tapered/rounded and smooth.

- - - Updated - - -

I was there when they laid our forms and had to brush them out because they were full of dried cement and dirt. Mine ended up ok, smoother than yours.

Here's a picture of a frigging big fly and my cement to compare to yours. View attachment 85058

Now that I think about it, when they did the concrete, there were only forms on the outside- inside was hand scraped. I’m seeing what the pool builder thinks.

that is a huge fly btw!!

Ahha, i think you had a miscommunication with your builder the way we just did.

He may be able to grind the edge down but my concern would be all the concrete dust going into your pool water.

Ahha, i think you had a miscommunication with your builder the way we just did.

He may be able to grind the edge down but my concern would be all the concrete dust going into your pool water.

No big deal on the dust. Water will need serious cleaning/vacuuming anyway since we are still technically in the building phase. I’m just hoping something can be done!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A warning on the dust! I had part of my concrete replaced and the saw that cut the concrete threw a bunch of dust in the pool and I thought no big deal. Well the blade they used also threw off metal dust and left a freckle rust stain after a week on the bottom of mine. Couldn't get the stains out and didn't want to drain the fiberglass pool so I'm living with it and it's fading slowly. It's been 6 years now and they are still there.

Hi All,
we are currently nearing the end of installation of a fiberglass pool with 8 feet of brushed concrete surrounding. Concrete was poured two days ago so we finally got to check it out up close. I’m a little disappointed at how sharp/rough the edges are. Is this pretty typical and do you think I should say something? I had thought the edges would be more rounded. Is it fixable?

That looks pretty rough. We have a broom (brushed) finish and it looks like that in a few out of the way spots, but mostly MUCH smoother. The brush lines are not overtly noticeable, especially around the pool.

I'm sure they can smooth that out a bit with a cement grinder though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.