Thinking of getting a truck....

Thank you. Yes, last year I think. It was garage kept for the first 17 of it's 21 years and never was a daily driver. I only have two bays so it sits outside now but is shaded in the PM.

I just paid more than what the truck KBB value is to rebuild the transmission due to the looks, state of other mechanicals and sentimental value.

From the look of that truck, if it is running well, I can guarantee you it would sell for more than whatever KBB says it's worth.

I'm not sure how the Ram's are, but man, the 12" screen looks awesome! But I'd get a King Ranch over the Raptor for a daily driver (for a similar sticker). For the money, more of the cost would have been put into things that I would use every day, versus those I would almost never use. But maybe you are a hardcore off-roader.

On the practical side of things, if you live in the city and have a small yard, a truck in probably not for you unless u tow something. However living in the suburbs or large yard definitely you need a truck.
I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, had almost zero problems and it still looks like new. Couldn’t live without it.

I'm not sure how the Ram's are, but man, the 12" screen looks awesome! But I'd get a King Ranch over the Raptor for a daily driver (for a similar sticker). For the money, more of the cost would have been put into things that I would use every day, versus those I would almost never use. But maybe you are a hardcore off-roader.

Man is that beautiful.

When you are at a red light, the first thought must be - that’s the wrong dude to mess with!!!

Love the mods!

Don’t encourage him, he needs to stay out of aisle 2 of PepBoys!! :mrgreen:

For me I’ve always liked the Chevy Avalanche and Cadi Ext’s. My house I had back east the garage wasn’t tall enough to fit the truck so I never got one. Sadly they stopped making them and in turn they are very sought after. So when I moved out West, the first thing I did was go find one. I looked everywhere for a Ext in white, but no luck. So I found a 2012 Avalanche that was well cared for with only 40k miles on it, SOLD!!

This truck rides like my Cadi I had back east. For me it’s the perfect blend of room, comfort, and utility. With the wall folded down, I can haul 4x8 sheets of plywood all day. And with it up, I can fit 5 people comfortably. Love it!!

Attachments

• 14D87BA2-7B3D-4475-8CCA-BBB07CB825A2.jpg
    14D87BA2-7B3D-4475-8CCA-BBB07CB825A2.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 87
I miss our Silverado :( We replaced it with the Colorado and have been sorry every since. It just does not ride the same and the size difference is putting a hurting on hauling. When we are able we will trade back to a Silverado!

Silverado owner here and have had four starting in the mid 80's. Now I drive a 2011 5.3l Z71 4X4 extended cab with leather seats (reduces dust accumulation) and it does everything I need. I too work in farming and the new full size trucks do it all and in style. Good advice in here, small trucks are for small framed people and the full size trucks are a better value in my opinion. I like the variable cylinder engine design that will switch from 8 cylinders down to 4 when under reduced load. Not unusual to get 19+ mpg on the highway, not bad for a gasoline 4X4.

I have been watching the new Ford F150 diesel due out this year, looks very interesting.

Since you are considering a Raptor, but don't seem like you will use or need all the Raptors offroad capabilities, you should wait until the 2019 Model F150's are released. In 2019, you will be able to buy the
F150 Limited model with the Raptor Engine. You will get all the creature comforts of the Limited model with a 450hp and 510ftlbs of torque for those quick trips to the grocery store.

I have a 2017 F150 Lariat and Love it.

Since you are considering a Raptor, but don't seem like you will use or need all the Raptors offroad capabilities, you should wait until the 2019 Model F150's are released. In 2019, you will be able to buy the
F150 Limited model with the Raptor Engine. You will get all the creature comforts of the Limited model with a 450hp and 510ftlbs of torque for those quick trips to the grocery store.

I have a 2017 F150 Lariat and Love it.

I love the way the Raptor looks. Mean! I don't care whether it is practical or not I just want it. lol!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I love the way the Raptor looks. Mean! I don't care whether it is practical or not I just want it. lol!

You are right, they do look awesome. For me, I just couldn't justify it for the little use I would get out of it. I have a Mustang in the garage that I've only put 500 miles on in the last 10 years and after a year of having my truck I just hit 5K miles. Having a take home car saves on gas, wear and tear and insurance. My wife would have made me sell my Mustang which I've had for 21 years, if I bought a raptor. Good Luck!!! Post pics when you get it..!!

vehicle.png

We have a 1994 RAM 1500 V-8 w/150K, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/260K. Other than emissions work, never had to put any substantial $$ into either of them. My husband always had a company truck so saved wear & tear on our vehicles.

We just sold our beloved '70 Chevy Shortbed Stepside (bought from my husband's cousin in '77) when we moved a year ago. :cry:

Who doesn't love a truck?!? The only car we ever owned was a '69 Camaro, that got stolen and never recovered in 1983.

They don't make them like they used to. :cool:

I miss my 94 Toyota 22re mini truck! If they make those again I’ll buy 2!
I worked for a truck rental company years ago and have had 2006-2012 versions of Dodge Ram 5.7L, Chevy Silverado/GMC 2500 Duramax diesel, 1500 versions also, Dodge Dakota V8 (now discontinued), Nissan Frontier V6 and Ford F-250. I drove the newer F150 & 250 and they’re so much better than older ones. I’m 6’+ and Toyota Tacoma just doesn’t fit me well.

Of all, I liked the Mid-Size trucks (Frontier, Tac, Colorado, Ridgeline, upcoming Ranger) and have the 2015 Nissan Frontier now. One main reason? It fits in my garage! They tow what I need, 5 foot bed with extender is fine, crew cab back seat is small, but fine when I need it. Chevy Colorado just came out when I bought my Fronty, but reliability wasn’t good, but it was a nice option.
If I had to pick one now: Honda Ridgeline. It falls where most people need a truck for, but it’s on a unibody frame, super comfy and excellent interior space front and back.

I was in the truck market last year. I thought going in I was going to get a Tacoma, but ended up with a Ridgeline (which technically isn't a truck, but whatever).

The real question is what do you need a truck for. If you are going off-road, get a Tacoma. If you need to tow 10,000 lbs, go with a Ford F Series or Sierra.

I needed a daily driver, something good for camping/tailgating, HD runs, roomy enough to haul the kids around...

Ridgeline is the best highway ride because it is an SUV with a bed. No truck will match that. The payload (not towing) is better than most of the other midsize trucks, but not comparable to the full sizes. I couldn't imagine not having the in bed trunk space. The composite bed is indestructable. The in-bed speakers and outlets are great for football tailgating.

I was in the truck market last year. I thought going in I was going to get a Tacoma, but ended up with a Ridgeline (which technically isn't a truck, but whatever).

The real question is what do you need a truck for. If you are going off-road, get a Tacoma. If you need to tow 10,000 lbs, go with a Ford F Series or Sierra.

I needed a daily driver, something good for camping/tailgating, HD runs, roomy enough to haul the kids around...

Ridgeline is the best highway ride because it is an SUV with a bed. No truck will match that. The payload (not towing) is better than most of the other midsize trucks, but not comparable to the full sizes. I couldn't imagine not having the in bed trunk space. The composite bed is indestructable. The in-bed speakers and outlets are great for football tailgating.

I need a truck because I want a truck. Lol! This is a pool forum why did I spend $80k on a hole in the ground?

I think it's more like if a gunnite pool was a pool, but a fiberglass was not technically considered a pool because of its design.

It looks like a truck to 99% of people (at least the 2nd Gen model), and it has the functions of a truck. It's classified by the industry and insurance as a truck. It's just not a body on frame design.

Get what makes you happy. I love my Ridgeline. It's roomy, comfortable, hauls everything I need, and it has features that no other truck has, like the in bed trunk, dual action tailgate, indestructable composite bed, etc. It is also the only vehicle in the segment with a 5 star NHTSA rating, and has Honda's engineering, which is known for its reliability. To each his own.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.