New Pool. Am I doing this Right?

Renro

Jun 18, 2018
Edinburg, Texas
Greetings. I have been lurking around here for a while now way before our pool project had commenced. Our pool was completed this past Saturday (8/11/2018) with pool completely filled on Sunday morning!! Even my pool builder was surprised at the fill rate. I was not expecting the pool to be completed that quick so I procrastinated in purchasing the K-2006c test kit I wanted. Given the advice on here that the Leslie's test kit 81330 is an alternative, I ran over to purchase it. I also purchased the FAS-DPD 0870 & 0871 online. I have been monitoring my test results and I wanted to place them on here in the event I may have missed something or the veterans can offer some advise.

Backround: Once plaster was completed, my PB acid washed the pool. He will maintain it for a month and then turn it over to me. At this point he has just scrubbed the pool (wire brush) and placed 2 chlorine tabs in my skimmer; which are all gone as of tonight. This has gone against all that I have read but I have bitten my tongue and let him continue his process for warranty purposes.

These are my latest test results as of 30 minutes ago.

FC=1
CC=.5
PH=7.8
TA=60
CH=200
CYA=<30

Note: Weather down here is normally 100 degrees with 90% and above humidty most of the time!!! Pool gets full sun all day long.

I am bit concerned because I am starting to see discoloration on the pool surface. Dark blue and light blue patches. Should I be concerned or is this somewhat normal? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Howdy Renro, welcome to TFP :handwave:

Great work obtaining the test kits that will match the needs of your pool. Once you get the SWG in place you'll also need the salt water test kit. You can obtain that from tftestkits.net

Putting the pucks in the skimmer is *only* an option if you keep your pump running. When not running those pucks make the water in the skimmer extremely acidic. Then you go and turn on the pump and it sends that overly acidic water to the pump which is damaging to the gaskets and equipment. I would suggest telling them to use a floating puck holder which they should have access to.

Dark finishes are hard to get perfect. That's not something they say to you, I know. But give it a little while and see if it improves. Let your PB you're concerned so that you have that on record.

Maddie :flower:

Do you have a brush yet? I would brush the pool myself.

Take a a look at the plaster startup guide to have a basic understanding or what should be done. https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/154-start-up-new-pool-plaster

ask your pool builder if you can monitor and maintained the chlorine and Ph. Ask when he is going to add stabilizer.

I took over these duties right away my pool builder didn’t mind after I showed him my test kit.

Do you have a brush yet? I would brush the pool myself.

Take a a look at the plaster startup guide to have a basic understanding or what should be done. https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/154-start-up-new-pool-plaster

ask your pool builder if you can monitor and maintained the chlorine and Ph. Ask when he is going to add stabilizer.

I took over these duties right away my pool builder didn’t mind after I showed him my test kit.

Yes, I do have a brush and have been brushing twice a day (Morning & Evening). As of yesterday evening I mentioned to my PB that I'd be handling the maintenance of my pool and he'll validate everything is to his standards to not void any warranty.

Using Pool Math, I lowered my PH to 7.6 as it was at or above 8.0. TA was stable at 60, however I'm thinking I should increase it but not too sure. I added liquid Chlorine to about 3ppm but testing indicated 2ppm. I also increase my CYA to 30ppm given that none was present.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.