how to run my Pump. How many hours? What time?

Aug 10, 2018
El Paso, TX
What do you recommend? When should I run my pump? What time of the day? Continuous or split it ? How many hours during the year?

I’ve heard many different opinions.

My current plan is to run it 8 hours, from 6am to 2pm.

But I’ve heard I could lower it o 3-4 hrs on the winter; also that around 3-4 hours could be enough even now during summer. And some say I could run it in the evening (as effective and cheaper). Also others recommend splitting it, just for instance: 2 hrs in early am, 2 hours at noon, 2 hours at night.

thanks for your expert opinions.

That subject is mentioned on the Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time page. But in general, run it enough to keep the surface relatively clear of debris and to mix chemicals. Of course the pump is on for vacuuming as well. Each pool is different, so you can start with 8hrs then back it off until you find a sweet spot. I suspect your area probably has a little more dust this time of year, so you'll watch that as well. You are correct about winter. When the water temps drop below 60, chlorine consumption slows and the pool requires much less run time and attention. I suspect with a 1 speed that uses more electricity than 2 speed pumps, the less you can run it the better for your electricity bill. :wink: $$$

I have a single speed 3/4 hp pump that I run for 4 hours total; 2 hours in the morning 8am-10am and 2 hours in the evening 8pm-10pm. My pool is usually covered with a solar cover unless we're in it. We have a dedicated vacuum port, so if the pump is running the cleaner is running.

I run it at random times when:
I want to test water outside of the scheduled run times.
I want to add chemicals outside of the scheduled run times.
I want to mix up the water after taking the solar cover off and before we get in.
Or anytime I'm performing some sort of maintenance (during/after brushing, after cleaning filter).

Our water is sparkling and crystal clear.

When we first moved in the previous owners had it set to 8 hours a day all in one shot at night. That seemed like overkill and I lowered it until I got to where I'm at now. I was able to pick up the timer triggers at Home Depot to split the times.

In the winter I can get away with 2-3 hours a day.

My pool is slightly smaller than yours. I've been gradually lowering the pump run time. It'd been as much as 6-8hrs. (when I knew nothing before TFP) and this summer I've been experimenting with +/- 2 hrs. a day. I figured if it needed more time, I'd raise it, but so far it's the same gorgeous sparkly water as always. I read, here in the forum, that the pump's job is to move the water to clear debris into the skimmer and to mix chemical additions. So....I lowered the time and the pool is happy, my electric bill is lower and all I can say is play with the time and see what your pool needs. Remember that the correct chemical balance is what keeps the water ideal, not filtration. Filtration removes debris for the most part.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.