New Pool Build in Austin (Feedback welcome)

Good catch B. I did not even notice the coping overhang. My worry about that overhang is the fact people WILL sit on the edge of the spa coping. With nothing to support to edge when someone sits on it............crack, bang, boom :( Now if they do leave the frame and put the stone on it then it could be storage if they make doors!

Ray (poolguy) also has a point about the "coconut cracker" aspect of it inside the pool.

Kim:kim:

Good catch B. I did not even notice the coping overhang. My worry about that overhang is the fact people WILL sit on the edge of the spa coping. With nothing to support to edge when someone sits on it............crack, bang, boom :( Now if they do leave the frame and put the stone on it then it could be storage if they make doors!

Ray (poolguy) also has a point about the "coconut cracker" aspect of it inside the pool.

If I look at the renderings, the split face looks less than an inch set back. I’m not sure what they are planning.

The pool side (at least how it looks in the renderings) will be flush with the pool.

I’ll ask,the PB if they ever actually start the tiling. Thanks for the comments.

See below. We did move the spillover to be centered and are using glass tiles on the spillover side, but this should give you an idea what they are,thinking.

Attachments

• D6FB5542-B0D7-4335-A950-11C49EAEBEF2.jpg
    D6FB5542-B0D7-4335-A950-11C49EAEBEF2.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 141

PB was out today. He confirmed that the glass tile and travertine split face will be flush with the edge of the coping on the pool side from end to end. So no “coconut cracking”.

He also said that the travertine on the other 3 sides will only be inset about an inch.

He also explained why it looks like it does now. I didn’t completely understand what he was saying. Something about him not realizing we were using tile depth stone and having room in case we were using thicker stone. Anyway, I was relieved to hear it will be done as the rendering shows.

Thanks again for the comments. Tiling has begun, so it will really start looking like a pool soon! I’ll post more pictures.

That is some good news for sure. Better to ask and make sure than to guess and it not be how you wanted. Me? I would do my best to be there on the day they are working on that to make sure it is done how you expect so you don't come home to any surprises. Yeah I do have trust issues but it has served me in the past in that things being done the wrong way were caught before they got too far along so...........

They already filled in the space on most of the spa. I verified it goes up to the coping to provide structural support. Still not sure why they took this approach, but am relieved.

Attachments

• E3D36395-5824-4545-B80A-198B33C02AA5.jpg
    E3D36395-5824-4545-B80A-198B33C02AA5.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 146

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Should be solid and strong to hold everything up and together.

It’s not solid, but is heavy. Rebar was installed before they poured the concrete for the coping if that makes a difference.

Do you think I should be considered about the the coping cracking over time?

Attachments

• 41DB9825-5D22-4038-ACDB-26EBF9FD4E2D.jpg
    41DB9825-5D22-4038-ACDB-26EBF9FD4E2D.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 64
Do you have stone that is going on the sides?

How far to the end of the coping does the rebar go?

My concern may not be valid but it is with someone sitting on the edge of the coping and over time the edge that does not have anything under it cracking. BUT with the rebar being in it and the blocks then stone coming so far under it it should be fine! When I first brought up the concern I was worried they were going to put the stone on a piece of plywood so there would be a LOT of overhang. With the block then stone it should be fine!

Do you have stone that is going on the sides?

How far to the end of the coping does the rebar go?

My concern may not be valid but it is with someone sitting on the edge of the coping and over time the edge that does not have anything under it cracking. BUT with the rebar being in it and the blocks then stone coming so far under it it should be fine! When I first brought up the concern I was worried they were going to put the stone on a piece of plywood so there would be a LOT of overhang. With the block then stone it should be fine!

The rebar went all the way. They grounded it and then the city inspected it before they poured the concrete. After the travertine is put on, the overhang will only be 1.5 inches.

Thanks for your input! Once they get more done, I’ll post more pictures.

-Jim

You are fine!! I am sorry for causing you some worry but I would hate for them to get done THEN bring up any problems :( SO glad it is good to go! :party:

Oh Kim, no need to apologize! My wife and I very much appreciate your help. We have no idea about this stuff, Trouble Free Pool has been an invaluable resource as we go through this process.

-Jim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.