The more I read in this forum about algae....

Can the members who have had real experience with mustard algae post some pictures? I do a lot of reading on here and other sites and the pictures of MA differ quite a bit. Also, real experience of how fast it grows, like fine one day and next is ugly MA bloom?, on the walls only, floor only, both? is that how it works with any algae really? Is MA a slow grower? Maybe this would help clear up some of the “is this algae or” and give us some real pictures of what MA looks like.

Thanks!

Re: The more I read in this forum about algae....

Isn't it just Yellow though? Hence mustard?

Regretfully I never took photos, but it was yellow, not green as I had seen before in the same pool.

Can the members who have had real experience with mustard algae post some pictures? I do a lot of reading on here and other sites and the pictures of MA differ quite a bit. Also, real experience of how fast it grows, like fine one day and next is ugly MA bloom?, on the walls only, floor only, both? is that how it works with any algae really? Is MA a slow grower? Maybe this would help clear up some of the “is this algae or” and give us some real pictures of what MA looks like.

Thanks!
I have been battling this same issue for a week. Ace was out of liquid chlorine so I tried HtH blue to green treatment. I did the shock and the shock 2 in the skimmer. I let it settle overnight as was suggested and vaccumed to waste as was suggested. The pool clarity had improved greatly but in the morning, there was the blob again. This looks like cross between sand and cloud of sandy fluff. It vaccums out only to reappear in the morning. I have started to reslam tonight. I have added 80 ounces of pool chlorine. Between the rain and chemicals, i am really starting to think about pulling the drain and heading to the ocean.
18x36 salt
haywood 1hp
vinyl above ground with pines and black walnut (least we forget the bag worms)
TA 70
CYA 65
PH 7.2 just for the moment...I regularly have to add 1/2 pint muriatic acid to keep it there.
TC. 24 right now

I have been battling this same issue for a week. Ace was out of liquid chlorine so I tried HtH blue to green treatment. I did the shock and the shock 2 in the skimmer. I let it settle overnight as was suggested and vaccumed to waste as was suggested. The pool clarity had improved greatly but in the morning, there was the blob again. This looks like cross between sand and cloud of sandy fluff. It vaccums out only to reappear in the morning. I have started to reslam tonight. I have added 80 ounces of pool chlorine. Between the rain and chemicals, i am really starting to think about pulling the drain and heading to the ocean.
18x36 salt
haywood 1hp
vinyl above ground with pines and black walnut (least we forget the bag worms)
TA 70
CYA 65
PH 7.2 just for the moment...I regularly have to add 1/2 pint muriatic acid to keep it there.
TC. 24 right now
by blob, do you mean floating freely in the water? How big?, etc

In my pool when not affected by treatments:

Like sand in the dimples of the white steps, in front of the skimmer weirs, and in the vacuum hose

Like brownish baby poo spots and streaks on the vinyl liner floor

When brushing, it created yellowish brown dust bclouds

When affected by treatments:

It turned gray and then white, but kept returning in the same spots as that color.

Very difficult to eradicate.....

2008GMCsierrasle,

Good morning :)

...none on the walls?

On the floors, it would start off looking like it was black algae (tiny black spots) and then the brown spots and blobs would form in those places. When more established, it would be on the walls but not visibly. I could tell it was there from the dust clouds when brushing.

What state are you in?

I am in Pennsylvania.

I’ve read MA is more likely in the southern states and it likes concrete pools more than vinyl or fiberglass pools?

When trying to research the forum for answers, I have seen pics and read descriptions of algae that is like mine in other vinyl pools and in fiberglass pools. My next door neighbor and a couple of people that I met in pool stores over the summer also have the exact same descriptions of an algae they can't seem to get rid of and they all have vinyl pools.

I noticed there are threads with algae problems fitting my description in Iowa, New York, Ohio, and Massachusetts. Those are ones I can currently remember.

There are so many forms of algae. Who knows......

I do know that it is very difficult to contain.

Do you happen to know why they say this type is more likely in the southern states?

Louanne

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.