Need some suggestions please

J Wise

Jul 17, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Hi, I'm new to the site and have been 'attempting' to install a 1-year-old above ground pool given to us by my brother-in-law. First of all, he could not find any of the paperwork and didn't know the name of the pool. As a result, I took pictures while disassembling the pool in order for 'direction' when reinstalling. He did tell me that the pool was a 12 x 24 oval. The installation went okay until I get to the liner. After having the pool assembled to the point it was time to install the liner, I soon found out that the pool was not a 12 x 24 but rather 12 x 23! WHY ANYONE WOULD MAKE AN ODD SIZE POOL IS BEYOND ME. Regardless, I had already purchased a new 12 x 24 liner and proceeded with the installation. As you might guess... I have access liner along the walls. My question is this.... Can I simply fold the liner at the end of the pool and use the clear 'Flex Tape' to seal the fold? Any suggestions would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

You *could* but I would be leery of doing so.

You are talking about having a fold inside the pool, correct. Water is going to get in there, and bacteria, algae, and whatever else. Then you will not be able to clean in that fold, and then you are going to have constant problems. Tape is not going to hold up in the water.

What kind of liner do you have. If it is overlap, you may be able to pull the excess over the walls. The liner will stretch a bit, so if you have to pull some over the wall and it makes it a LITTLE bit too tight in an other spot, it will stretch when you fill it. If you have some wrinkles or creases, that's not really an issue - as long as they do not trap water.

If you have a bead lock or J-hook liner, then you are much more limited in what you can do.

dave

Thank you for the response Dave. The algae problem was my concern with the 'fold' idea. The Flex Tape people claim that the tape will work underwater and that's why I was considering using it to cover the fold so no water/algae can get into the fold. So just to be sure, are you saying I can pull the excess liner out over the entire circumference of the pool?

Thank you for the response Dave. The algae problem was my concern with the 'fold' idea. The Flex Tape people claim that the tape will work underwater and that's why I was considering using it to cover the fold so no water/algae can get into the fold. So just to be sure, are you saying I can pull the excess liner out over the entire circumference of the pool?

Nothing lasts forever in water - especially in pool water. that tape will be flaking off well before your liner has to be replaced.

I assume you have an overlap liner - it goes over the wall, and then gets held on with sections of plastic track before you put on the metal top track and rail.

A J hook liner goes over the top of the wall but it has a built in "J" that goes over the top of the wall, there is no plastic track involved.

A bead lock liner has a bead around the top edge that snaps into a receiver that is around the top of the wall.

If you have a J hook or bead lock liner, you cannot pull the excess out.

If you have an overlap liner, you can pull the excess out -WITHIN REASON.

A liner is not a big flat piece of vinyl. There is a floor, and then the wall is seamed to the floor. The liner is designed so that the seam between the wall and the floor will lay on your cove.

Liners will stretch, some more than others. You can hang the liner a little tight and then it will stretch to fit the pool. But you cannot stretch the liner too much. There is a limit. You have a lot of extra material to work with. You are going to have wrinkles no matter what you do. But if you have an overlap, you should be able to make those wrinkles smaller. If it is an overlap liner, you can pull the excess 6" on each edge over the top. It's not going to fit perfectly, but you should be able work with it.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.