Flag Stone Coping Redo - Advice Needed

As for now it is our forever house but you never know. I am more concerned about the look than the functionality. Our pool is about 14 years old. the Pebble above the water line I'm not sure if it is even pebble tec. The last person who fixed the coping used some sort of pebble and it looks terrible, not even a close match.

As far as keeping clean it is not a problem. Usually I keep the water up very high so there is really nothing that is exposed

And, of course, in addition to its other purposes, edge tile can be a big factor in the look and personality of your pool, which might be its own justification for the trouble and expense of installing it.

Still a WIP. Today I removed another large section of coping that was loose. I ended up using cement as there was a large void under the deck and the thickness was 4"-5"

Now I am thinking about redoing the first 4" of the pebble-tec that was re-done by the mason that re-did the coping. It looks terrible. I am wondering what is the best approach for removal.

And then I should probably fix two sections of the deck that is no longer level. I need to find a good guy in Temecula who can do the cement work.

Ha. I just had a premonition of this thread in a few months... "Well, I've got that last few inches of old pebble around the drain. I'm thinking of taking that last bit out so it'll match the rest of the pool." ;)

So I finally started tackling laying down the stone. It's harder than I anticipated, but now that I took a first cut at it I think next round will be easier. I came to learn the Quickrete requires the acrylic Fortifier which wasn't mentioned. And boy does it dry fast!!!! But it definitely sticks. 1 large section done, two more to go.

All Coping restored this week, Spent entire day Monday and took the day off Tuesday. It is more work then I thought but its semi-enjoyable:). I don't think I will use the quickrete material as the grout, it is a very plain gray with no texture. The existing grout is I believe a sanded grout from the tile section of the big box. It looks like most are only for up to 1/2" gap but no issues with the grout that I removed, it was all tight and no cracks. The only grout issue is around the pool skimmer, so as I type this I am thinking I should do the job right and pull out that grout also so everything is the same.

Any tips or advice appreciated. I will take some pictures today and post them of the existing work

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.