New here, dumping pool store advice, attempting to restore clear blue water - HELP!

harrysmary

Aug 13, 2018
Hudsonville, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello,

I need help. I have read the Pool School info already. I have had cloudy, somewhat green water for 3 weeks now. We put our pool in late last summer and it's been crystal clear up until 3 weeks ago. The pool now won't hold chlorine despite the pool stores' continual advice to shock again with a super chlorinator. I have also dumped 8 gallons of high concentrated pool store liquid bleach (10% i believe) in on 2 separate occasions. When I go to test the chlorine at the pool store it shows 0 or 0.5 FC. They also had me put in two bottles of PhosAway because it was showing really high phosphates and they thought that was the reason the pool wasn't holding the chlorine. I did that, and then really had to clean out our cartridge filter. Today's readings according to the pool store:

Ph: 7.4 normal
Total hardness: 363 High (well water)
Total alkalinity: 201 High
Free Chlorine: 0.5 Low
Total Chlorine: 5.5
CYA: 7 Low

I have been slowly adding stabilizer to the pool because the reading was at 2 last time I went to the pool store and so I've put in about 4 pounds of stabilizer over the last few days.
I just want the pool to be clear back to what it was. After putting $500 into chemicals the last 3 weeks, I'm about to pull my hair out. :eek: Now, I found this site and have purchased the items recommended (Liquid Bleach, Borax, but not baking soda since my alk is high). A few days ago my FC and TC were the same 0.5, so I'm guessing the separation came when I attempted to do what the pool store told me and it didn't make it the shock level necessary. Is that correct? Now, I am asking where to go from here. First question, do I need to get my CYA up to 30 before I shock? I heard it can take up to a week for it to take affect and I just poured the stabilizer in over the past days. I am hoping to liquid shock tonight but I'm unsure how to use the chart when the lowest CYA amount listed is 20 and no advice on what to do if the reading is lower than that. I am a novice, so I need things clearly stated if possible - sorry!! :) Also, i order the Taylor2006 pool testing kit coming in two days. I need help in getting my pool back to clear water and balanced! Some details about my pool:

33,000 gallons
plaster
Non-salt water as of now (using chlorinator system with tri-chlor tabs currently)
Care-taker system
Heater
Automatic pool cover

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

Great decision to order a quality test kit. Was it the small K2006 or the K2006C? Just asking because if the small one you may need FAS-DPD refills very soon.

If you have Trichlor tablets in the chlorinator leave them there. Just wait until you get your kit and can do your own testing. Then we can provide some guidance. You will likely need to SLAM Process. You have added CYA via a method we do not recommend but will cross that bridge when you get your test kit.

Please add a signature. Read Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.

Thank you for your quick response. I'll repost here once I get the test kit. It was the K2006 I believe. I didn't realize there was a difference. So, just leave the pool as is for 2 days and then test and report back? Thanks for your help.

As you have trichlor tablets in the pool I would just wait. The powder CYA you added should mostly show up once you get your test kit.

Find a good source of bleach/liquid chlorine. And read the links I posted above.

What state, province, or country is 'Hudsonville' in? Can you add that to your location?

Welcome @harrysmary. TFP methods utilize chlorine/bleach, same stuff just different percentage strengths, muriatic acid, cya/conditioner/stabilizer and a high quality test kit. Those items free us from using pool store advice where you've already experienced first hand spending $500 and still having cloudy pool water.

So welcome again, read, read and then read so more. In less time using TFP methods you'll have the pool water you've been waiting for.

OK, so I received my Taylor 2006 test kit in the mail this afternoon. After testing my water here are the results:
FC 2.0
CC 5
PH 7.0 possibly slightly less
Alk 250
CYA 35

please kindly advise. Interestingly enough, my water has cleared some the last couple of days but is still cloudy.

Great job on the test results!

FC is a bit low for your CYA (use 40 ppm, always round up to nearest whole 10).

pH is low from Trichlor use. It will come up with aeration.

I would redo the TA test being sure to follow "Sometimes a static electric charge can build up on the R-0009 dropper bottle tip, causing the drops to be smaller than usual and making the test read higher than actual. You can prevent this by wipping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth or tissue before you start and after each drop."

As your water is cloudy, now would be a good time to remove the Trichlor pucks and use liquid chlorine to SLAM Process and then use the LC for daily maintenance. Your CYA is perfect for both right now.

Read the SLAM Process article. Then use the shock level FC for your CYA as shown in [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. Test and dose with LC back to shock level FC every few hours.

Welcome to the forum! We have friends in Fruitport MI :wave:
You are in good hands with Marty.
Reading Pool School, SLAM, and how to clear up algae will be a lot of reading but oh so informative. This process works. Stick with it. :D
Your CC is very high and FC is very low. You will need to SLAM - log onto PoolMath, plug in numbers that match your testing to see how much you need. It will be a lot of liquid chlorine and it will take several days to clear your pool. I started a preliminary version for you.

Just remember with the SLAM process, you HAVE to keep the FC at shock level and test every few hours, adding more chlorine to keep the FC up and SLAM it till it gets clear.
SLAM= Shock Level And Maintain
It will take several days to see it start to clear up. It will sort of go from green, to very cloudy grayish, to cloudy blueish and then start clearing up. Its a little nerve wracking at the start and patience in the process will be your big test.
Hope this helps. You're in for a ride to sparkly water.

:snorkle::snorkle:
:snorkle:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, so I received my Taylor 2006 test kit in the mail this afternoon. After testing my water here are the results:
FC 2.0
CC 5
PH 7.0 possibly slightly less
Alk 250
CYA 35

please kindly advise. Interestingly enough, my water has cleared some the last couple of days but is still cloudy.
For a pool that's been subject to the ministrations of the pool store, those numbers look pretty darn good.

I agree with Marty, wipe the dropper tip on the R-009 before each drop the next time you run the TA test. No need to do it now, since you won't be adjusting pH. Next time.

Jugs away! And brush until you build arms like this, too.
attachment.php

I added 196 oz of liquid bleach (6%) 2 hours ago. I am going to bed, but checking chlorine levels before that. I’m having a problem with figuring out the test kit. After 13 drops it goes clear temporarily and then turns back to light pink. I continued to put drops in up to 19 and it will clear after two drops but then turn pink again. What does this mean?

That much 6% bleach would barely raise your FC by 3 ppm. So that small effect you saw is correct. The algae is eating the little bit of chlorine you added.

You have a very large pool. Your SLAM level FC is 16 ppm. To get from 2 to 16 ppm you need 960 oz of 6% bleach. And then additional bleach every couple hours to maintain your FC at 16 ppm.

Use a 10 ml sample for your testing. Each drop to clear will be 0.5ppm FC.

OK -- so that makes a difference!

I would think that should have shown up. Let it circulate until morning and test again.

So I checked my chlorine levels this morning and according to my test kit, my FC was 2.0 and CC was 2.5. I then added another 960 oz. of 6% bleach. I hope this was correct. Am I measuring anything else or just chlorine levels during this process? I am quite shocked (ha ha) that my FC didn't budge after pouring 960 oz. in the first time. My CC did change from 5 to 2.5, so that is progress?

Since I'm up, I'll just jump in. Yes, that is progress. What was the measurement after you added the dose this morning? During a SLAM you only need to test FC and CC. We really like pictures. So if you get a chance, it's a good idea to take a pic each day. Try to find something interesting, even a brush, to place in the water. That way you have a good frame of reference towards seeing change.

Where did you get your bleach? What is the date on it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.