Chlorine Resistant Algae?

Seadweller

Aug 21, 2009
Tampa Bay Area
Is it possible for strains of algae to become resistant to chlorine? The reason I ask, is that I continue to get a dusting of green algae in my pool despite the following chemical balance:

FC 10
CC .5
pH 7.8
TA 80
CH 400
CYA 50

I know I need to bring the CYA up, but I can't imagine that would contribute to my algae problem with a continuing FC of 10. This, after not one, but two successful SLAM's.

I would suggest testing your FC at different times during the day to be sure you are not dropping below or close to minimum.

When do you run your pump? Your SWCG? At what setting?

I SLAM'd the pool before installing my SWG around 6-8 months ago. There's a light dusting of algae that appears on the walls and floor in random areas. It's been a recurring issue for some time. I've tested FC at various times during the day, I've done OCLT tests, and two additional, successful SLAM procedures, yet the algae continues to return. I had kept FC at a 6, well above the "recommended" level, and ensured it never dropped below 5. After a few comments from other Florida pool owners, I raised the FC to 8-10, and it hasn't dropped below that in weeks. Despite that, algae continues to return.

I have the pump running at various speeds for 12 hours/day from sun-up to well past sun-down, and the SWG running at 100% for 8 hours. I'm just dumbfounded why algae continues to return. I even began a maintenance dose of algaecide to no avail. If I brush the pool any more than I'm doing, I'll brush the PebbleTec off.

Algae is usually slippery feeling. Even a small amount will feel slick. I'm wondering if you might be getting pollen from some nearby plants or trees?

Second for another contaminant not algae as such.

Is this a common issue in your area or street?

- - - Updated - - -

There's a light dusting of algae that appears on the walls and floor in random areas. It's been a recurring issue for some time. I have the pump running at various speeds for 12 hours/day from sun-up to well past sun-down, and the SWG running at 100% for 8 hours. I'm just dumbfounded why algae continues to return. I even began a maintenance dose of algaecide to no avail. If I brush the pool any more than I'm doing, I'll brush the PebbleTec off.

All of this is saying it may not be algae at all.

Bad circulation design can cause algae to appear like this, however it wont be random it will be consistent in location. Its not that.

I SLAM'd the pool before installing my SWG around 6-8 months ago. There's a light dusting of algae that appears on the walls and floor in random areas. It's been a recurring issue for some time. I've tested FC at various times during the day, I've done OCLT tests, and two additional, successful SLAM procedures, yet the algae continues to return. I had kept FC at a 6, well above the "recommended" level, and ensured it never dropped below 5. After a few comments from other Florida pool owners, I raised the FC to 8-10, and it hasn't dropped below that in weeks. Despite that, algae continues to return.

I have the pump running at various speeds for 12 hours/day from sun-up to well past sun-down, and the SWG running at 100% for 8 hours. I'm just dumbfounded why algae continues to return. I even began a maintenance dose of algaecide to no avail. If I brush the pool any more than I'm doing, I'll brush the PebbleTec off.

Can the pool pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test?

Sorry for the late response, business travel got in the way...It's algae, no question, and yes, the pool passes the OCLT with flying colors. Given my chemical balance, I'm beginning to think it's a circulation issue. I currently have the "eyeballs" with the large holes, and I'm wondering if a smaller "eyeball" will create more of a jet, with an increase in circulation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.