Salt cell question

Can you post a full set of test results?

Your CYA and CH will show how you need to chlorinate going forward. The best way will be liquid chlorine, daily.

Ok, check it tomorrow to see how it's doing. Check instant salinity twice to see if it stays good.

When you turn the switch off and back on, the polarity reverses. If the instant salinity is the same in both polarities, that's good. If the instant salinity is very different in both polarities, that's bad.

Thanks for everyone’s responses. As a reminder I added a bag of salt and changed it to t-5 last night.

this morning, average salinity showing 3000 and box is all green lights.

Kind of dont want even want to run an instant salinity test or even touch it since it seems to be working.

Thanks for everyone’s responses. As a reminder I added a bag of salt and changed it to t-5 last night.

this morning, average salinity showing 3000 and box is all green lights.

Kind of dont want even want to run an instant salinity test or even touch it since it seems to be working.

This makes me wonder if I can put my T-9 back in, set the system to T-5 and get a few more weeks out of mine as well. I didn't toss the old one, so it's worth a try I suppose - might as well run it into the ground! I do love the fact that I only have to put my T-15 on 15% to maintain FC though

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This makes me wonder if I can put my T-9 back in, set the system to T-5 and get a few more weeks out of mine as well. I didn't toss the old one, so it's worth a try I suppose - might as well run it into the ground! I do love the fact that I only have to put my T-15 on 15% to maintain FC though

still not truley convinced it’s working but will check this afternoon. How much did you pay for your t-15?

Quick question, how did you "hold it"?

I put it in a jug and placed the bottom firmly down. Applying pressure down to create a seal I carefully poured the solution in and held it down to maintain the seal.

- - - Updated - - -

Cell is definitely producing. I just checked FC and it’s up. Now I’m wondering if I was just simpy low on salt or if going to t-5 will give me just a few weeks

Check the salinity with a K-1766 test kit and check the salinity in both polarities.

Once the cell begins to fail, it's hard to tell how much more production you can get out of it.

By tracking the actual salinity with a test kit and comparing it to the instant salinity in both polarities, you can tell if the cell is rapidly failing.

If the cell is rapidly failing, the instant salinity in both polarities will be different and will drift lower and lower from the actual salinity.

still not truley convinced it’s working but will check this afternoon. How much did you pay for your t-15?

bear in mind I live in Canada, but I bought it through Amazon.com (US):
$435.00 for the cell
$13.46 shipping
$21.75 import fees
=$470.21

which after exchange rate came to $630.23 CAD

my next cheapest alternative (from Amazon Canada) was $609.43 CAD + tax = $700.84 CAD...

so long story short you’d probably just pay $435 with free shipping. Lol

Thanks for all replies.

So, several days later, after putting it on T-5 it’s been
holding around 3000 and working.

I think I know what’s going on. Someone mentioned above that each time you do a instant salinity check (switching off to auto) checks each side of the cell. When I do one side I’m getting accurate readings but when I then switch it off and back to auto to test the other side, I get bad readings. Those bad readings then impact the overall average reading that drives (I believe) the cell decision to generate or inspect cell, etc. So, after adding some more salt last night (significant rain last two days) what I have to do is do multiple tests on the cell (it got more accurate readings after 4-5 tests), but every other time I went off to auto, I went quickly back to off so the bad side of the cell wouldn’t be tested and throw off the average #s.

Bottom line, I got it back to good readings and generating but I think bottom lines this means next summer need a new cell

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.