LifeTime Supporter
Sep 15, 2013
Fayetteville, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Ordered ice melt from Lowe’s and this is the brand I received.
Should I be concerned?

19ab08e51e589183472643b24c396e36.jpg

e44ebfa7a083a9b9712954944d40a2e4.jpg

I would be.

This stuff's SDS shows nothing but Calcium Chloride,.

Not to be argumentative, but to learn . . .
I noticed the HD SDS sheet shows its 94% Calcium Chloride. Wondered what the balance of ingredients were.

Found on the Tractor Supply website, under the 50# bag version of the same product, a question about what was in it. Response says
“This contains 94% pure Calcium Chloride as well as Sodium Chloride, Magnesium Chloride, and Calcium Magnesium Acetate.”

For anyone wondering, I called Meherrin (maker if the product I bought) and talked to (I think) the owner. She stated their product has lime in it and it, among other ingredients, would create issues.

I need 45# of the stuff, so just trying to save a buck or two.

Not to be argumentative, but to learn . . .
I noticed the HD SDS sheet shows its 94% Calcium Chloride. Wondered what the balance of ingredients were.

Found on the Tractor Supply website, under the 50# bag version of the same product, a question about what was in it. Response says
“This contains 94% pure Calcium Chloride as well as Sodium Chloride, Magnesium Chloride, and Calcium Magnesium Acetate.”

For anyone wondering, I called Meherrin (maker if the product I bought) and talked to (I think) the owner. She stated their product has lime in it and it, among other ingredients, would create issues.

I need 45# of the stuff, so just trying to save a buck or two.
Interesting. The description says 94%, but the SDS shows 100%. I don't know what to tell you. Adding Calcium has never been necessary where I live.

You could always rent a water truck and come help yourself to some of my pool water. I'm about to pump a bunch out to lower my CH.

I recently asked about cheap CH additives here: https://www.troublefreepool.com/thr...KCl-okay-(Home-Depot-ice-melt-for-20-50-lbs-)

I went with 50 lb. of the Walmart online "sold and shipped by mezee" product, MELT50CCP, as mentioned by Steve_in_C:

Here's the manufacturer's SDS for the MELT50CCP product:

https://snowjoe.blob.core.windows.net/images/MELT-Calcium%20Chloride%20Pellets%20SDS-R2.pdf

linked from here:

https://www.snowjoe.com/products/me...ride-pellets-professional-strength-ice-melter

Walmart "partner" mezze shipped my 50 lb. bag amazingly fast and it arrived even much faster than the original delivery time estimate. I put about 35 lb. of it into my pool and the only thing that measurably changed, according to my TF-100 test kit, was the CH. I suspect it's probably the best $25 I've spent so far to protect the life of my pool.

I would be.

This stuff's SDS shows nothing but Calcium Chloride,.

and more recently

Interesting. The description says 94%, but the SDS shows 100%. I don't know what to tell you. Adding Calcium has never been necessary where I live.

<snip>

Yes....Hmm?!!!

The Home Depot website also says otherwise right in the text: "Professional strength - contains 94% pure CaCl2 pellets."

Also, the SDS from the Snow Joe website that I linked in my post above contradicts the SDS from the Home Depot linked page, which also has a Q/A section where the manufacturer says (or the mfg.'s lawyer says ;)) that the product is not recommended for pools.

Perhaps I should stop using the Snow Joe, though any damage has been done for awhile, because I can't afford the tanker trucked refill water to dilute! I'm beginning to doubt that mfg.s' SDS sheets are at all reliable (no more reliable than their product ads and placements)!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.