plumbing in new pool pump

gmac

May 14, 2016
Friendswood, TX
I'm looking for any DIY help, videos etc. on how to go about replacing a pool pump, and in particular how to cut out the old pump that is cemented PVC directly to the pump input and outputs and replace it with union couplings. I'm concerned about how to know exactly where to cut the existing PVC to accommodate the couplings and have everything line up straight.

Any suggesting, links to videos, etc?

Thanks in advance.

GM

I'm out of town for work, don't have a picture to post right now. Yes, it's the same pump but I'm assuming be adding the coupler it will change the position of the pump, effectively making that section of pipe, for example, coming into the pump input where the skimmer basket is, longer than it is now. That will push the pump slightly further back on the concrete pad. This will in turn make the pump output line coming out of the top of the pump slightly out of line with the pipe I'm trying to attach the pump output to.

Make sense?

Search youtube for "pool pump replace". There are many examples. You might get lucky and find one that closely matches your setup (or not). Even if there is nothing close, I find it helpful to see what others have done to get a better feel for what I might have to do.

I replaced my pump that had been cemented (Why was it cemented instead of using a union? maybe so the installer would get called back when the pump broke? I don't know, I bought the house this way). You don't want to move the position of the pump unless you absolutely have to as this will require more plumbing work (and depending how much slack in in your electrical line, you could need a new one of these too). I bought all the couplings that I needed and laid them out next to my existing plumbing to make sure there was room. I also measured everything a few times because it was very close. Finally, because it was so close to not fitting, I found a "mend outside pipe extender" just in case - this is a coupling that goes over a coupling for when there isn't enough pipe coming out of the upstream coupling to support a new coupling. This did seem a little shady, but my choice was potentially extensive re-plumbing to "do it right" vs. trying out a shady coupling that might work (and if it doesn't, I'll just rip out everything and do it right so why not try). It turned out I didn't need this, until I made a mistake and had to re-plumb part, and then I needed it. After almost 2 years, no leaks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, got it done. had to re-pipe a section coming out of the pump discharge cause the union pushed the pump back a but, and there wasn't enough pipe on the intake side to line everything up. Wasn't too bad, letting it cure overnight before firing up the pump....hopefully no leaks!

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

GM

Well, now there is a small leak a the discharge coming out of the pump. Might need more wraps of Teflon tape or something.

Question -- The pump basket water lever is gradually going down as more air is getting in. Could a leak in the discharge fitting cause this?

I don't see leaks anywhere else

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.