Is bubbling at morning startup normal? Is spa letting air in overnight?

I recently bought a house with a pool, been in it 4 months now, still doing some adjusting. I actually fixed a leak issue on the pump suction side awhile back by caulking around it as a quick fix, my point being that I've seen a consistent bubbling issue before which I think is now resolved for the time being. Anyway, to my question:

I notice in the morning when my pump first kicks on that there's a lot of bubbling from the jets (especially the one that's just an open pipe) for a couple minutes or so until the system gets to a more steady flow and I guess all the air in the pipes from sitting overnight (and spa level dropping some even below the jets letting air in I guess) has worked its way out. Is this normal? Do other folks with a similar setup see this too?

This is my first post, BTW, so forgive me if my signature's missing something, let me know if so. I'm posting from my phone at the moment, so can't figure out adding an avatar until I'm on a computer.

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

No, its not normal. A small amount of air possibly, but not large volumes.

Your spa should not drain down with pump off. There should be a check valve in your return line to the spa. It is not sealing. Hopefully it is a Jandy type that can be repaired. Post a picture of it.

Otherwise you have a suction side leak. Normal place is the gasket on the pump gasket lid. They are not typically lubricated correctly and can leak. I use Magic Lube on mine. Get it at Home Depot.

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

You may also want to get the Pool Math app.

Welcome to TFP...
My pool makes a few weird noises when the dump first turns on (high speed) but I never considered it to be an issue. As for spa water level below jets im not so sure that sounds correct. I don’t have a spa on my pool so I can’t say for sure. Have you tried making sure the water level is above jets and then see how it reacts?

Someone with more more detailed info will be along soon and great job on signature!

Is that the check valve with the clear cover shown in the attached picture?

1533408794031358266466.jpg

I havent tried making sure the water level doesn't drop in the spa but I don't recall that it always dropped prior to recently, so maybe the check valve is the problem.

Also, I've already figured out re-lubing O-rings on pumps and the filter, so don't think that's it. I've even learned to detect when that's the issue by noises you hear when you start/stop the pump, you can hear the air leak squealing.

That is a check valve.

Be sure to note what direction the internals are when you disassemble.

You might be able to fix it temporarily with lubrication of the seals. Otherwise a rebuild kit is needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.