Small rust stain on ladder step in water near rail

Catanzaro

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 30, 2014
Monmouth County, New Jersey
This morning I removed the ladder to clean out, inspect the for algae and rinse the cups in the concrete. While inspecting, I saw a small rust stain (or just a dark red-brown stain) about 1/8" by 1" on the middle step. After removing the top and middle step, I inspected the screws (very slight corrosion on the threads, but nothing major and only a thread here and there, which also could be staining. No corrosion on the ladder rails (inside, outside, or even where the screw and bolt goes). Bottom of the steps show no corrosion either. Should have taken a picture, but cleaned up real well and put everything back together. There is no corrosion on the screws, or anywhere else in the pool including the white steps. Everything appears to be fine.

With the conversion of the SWG, it appears that the cups are deteriorating a little faster than normal. I usually vacuum up, rinse with fresh water so the salt does not accumulate in the ladder cups. This is one of the main reason why I remove the ladder from time to time. The SWG has been on since last July when installed. The first 6 months I had the FROG system installed, but quickly veered off that course. For 3 years, I dosed manually each morning until the conversion.

About once per week, I increase the levels at around 7 a.m. with 12.5% liquid chlorine as I brush the whole pool. This way any biofilm will be suspended in the water and taken care of with the extra chlorine. About once a week, I will have to adjust the SWG because I am usually over the minimums.

Question: What could have possibly happened? Could galvanic corrosion have hit that one area without affecting anything else? Remember that I have a Zinc Anode at the pump because of the issue with the screws at the light niche. Maybe I will have to bring the water in to test for metals. Only use city water and rain water to fill pool.

I am leaning towards one or the other:

1) A leaf landed in that corner and stayed there for a few days possibly causing this stain (Organic). A leaf on the top step without water quickly causes a stain, in which only a magic eraser will remove.

2) When I was having issues with the solar cover and algae just appearing in a few spots, the pool had to be raised to SLAM level for one day, then I allowed the levels to drift back down. Maybe just a fluke. But this is a month later.

Should have placed a vitamin c tablet on the step or a 3" Trichlor tablet to see if the stain could have been removed, but went after with soap, water, and a green scrubby which removed some of the material, but barely visible.

What color is ladder cup corrosion? White & chalky?

Neither, just a weird stain that I removed and has not come back. I will see a black rusty type of stain once in a blue moon on white steps and steps on ladder, but easily removed. They are more like dots that a pencil would produce, that small and easily removed with Magic Eraser.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.