Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I really have to.......

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I really have to.......

Close my pool??????

I guess its time..... I already can't wait for next sping! Maybe I should move to Texas???
    Leanne
    Pool: 24' round by 48" deep AGP
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed pump, H100 Heater, sand filter, skimmer, using BBB (love it!)
    Hot tub: 2008 CalSpas, 8x8, 8 seats, 60+ jets, ozonator
    3 step bromine sanitation

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do I really have to.......

Oh, and I have my heater running 24/7 right now to protect my equipment. Any other advice I should follow until I really do close it? I have a winter cover on its way, just waiting for it to get here. This is the earliest snow I can ever remember in Minnesota, and I've lived here my whole life!
    Leanne
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed pump, H100 Heater, sand filter, skimmer, using BBB (love it!)

3. Back To Top    #3

My sympathies!

We don't have snow yet here in eastern PA but the nights are getting very cold. I'm running the pump from 9:00 PM to 7 AM to keep the equipment from freezing. We'll probably close next weekend.

A question: is that a Scamper ramp next to your steps? If so, how did you make it work in an AGP? We tried to install one but our big dogs just push it down into the water. We can't seem to get the proper support against the pool wall because of the coping overhang.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

4. Back To Top    #4

Snowy Pool Party at Laenini's! Heater is on! Grab your suits!!! Book your flights!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Looks like a high school prank to me! Did someone call the authorities?! I can't believe that somebody would go through that much time and effort to put all those cotton balls around your pool and deck!

Whatever that is, it is really weird. And I don't understand the "closing" and "freezing" you speak of. Maybe I'm just a dumb San Diegan, but I've never seen anything like that around here!!

Bruce

6. Back To Top    #6

This has been the lousiest October I can recall.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by simicrintz
    Looks like a high school prank to me! Did someone call the authorities?! I can't believe that somebody would go through that much time and effort to put all those cotton balls around your pool and deck!

Whatever that is, it is really weird. And I don't understand the "closing" and "freezing" you speak of. Maybe I'm just a dumb San Diegan, but I've never seen anything like that around here!!

Bruce
    I think it was photoshoped...anyway what a beautiful photo!
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

8. Back To Top    #8

You think it's fake? It did snow in MN yesterday. Wouldn't surprise me if it were real....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

I really miss the snow (boyhood growing up in Kansas City and Bergen County, NJ) and how breathtakingly beautiful it is... but I don't miss shoveling the driveway.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK
    A question: is that a Scamper ramp next to your steps? If so, how did you make it work in an AGP? We tried to install one but our big dogs just push it down into the water. We can't seem to get the proper support against the pool wall because of the coping overhang.
    Yep, its a scamper ramp. We have 2 dogs and 4 cats and thought we should add the ramp (back before we put in the wedding cake steps) just in case one fell into the pool one day and couldn't get out on their own. To be honest though, that has never actually happened. So I've never seen an animal try to use it. Ours does have notches on it that the coping slides into, then if I pull the tie ropes tight it sure seems like it would support one of our animals long enough to allow them to get out of the pool. Our dogs are both small though (we have a maltese and a maltese/yorkie mix). I can't imagine a big dog making it up this ramp without pushing it under the water too far. I'd bet there must be something that could be done to modify the ramp though. Maybe even just cutting an old piece of pool noodle or styrofoam to fit between the ramp and the pool wall underneath the coping to keep the ramp from tipping down into the water under the weight of the dog?
    Leanne

11. Back To Top    #11

Wow! It is still hitting in the 90's here! My water is still 88 degrees!
    24' Round AGP | 13,600 Gallons | Waterway Cartridge Filter | Waterway 2 Speed Pump | K-2006 Test Kit
    100% Trouble Free Since The Baqua Conversion

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by TravisD
    Ok, forget Texas, I'm moving to Florida!
    Leanne

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by TravisD
    Travis, you're showing off again! Cut it out! Unless you care to host ALL OF US this weekend...
    32x16 buried Doughboy, 4' shallow - 7' deep
    Pentair Dynamo 1 hp, 2-speed - Pentair 150# SD40 w/zeolite (75#)
    One skimmer/two returns/Aquabot Turbo T2

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks for the info on the Scamper ramp. A cut up pool noodle would not work for our dogs, they weigh 80# when dry. We tried a variety of braces but because of the curvature of the pool walls we aren't able to make them work well enough to make the ramp functional.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Cherie
    Travis, you're showing off again! Cut it out! Unless you care to host ALL OF US this weekend...
    Actually, I think we are supposed to get a cold front coming through this weekend.

It'll be in the 80's for a day or two, and drop to the upper 60's at night! Brrrrr!
    24' Round AGP | 13,600 Gallons | Waterway Cartridge Filter | Waterway 2 Speed Pump | K-2006 Test Kit
    100% Trouble Free Since The Baqua Conversion

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    You think it's fake? It did snow in MN yesterday. Wouldn't surprise me if it were real....

I was being funny...My other sister was up at the cabin with the folks and they woke up Saturday morning to more than an inch of snow...I am quite sure since they are in NW MN...that they had more than that.
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

17. Back To Top    #17

Come to Texas....92 today with a cold front coming thru this weekend, highs in the 70' and low's in the 50's.....my pool is soooo confused!
    ABG Easy Set 18 x 48
    5455 gallons
    SWG
    Intex Pump 4000 GPM - Size B cartridge