New owner/large pool conversion

Jul 20, 2018
Albuquerque
https://ibb.co/dviUDd

Hello all, new member here.

I come from 0 pool experience to a relatively large set of circumstances stacked against me and have a few questions.

I have tried to read up on testing, BBB method, and a variety of other topics but it has only been a day and I have some questions so I can hopefully move forward.

I updated my signature to what I know and will answer more. FYI also on well water.

Where I am at is currently stopping the use of baqucil and switching to chlorine as it seems much simplier and cheaper. I have bought a test kit but hasn't come yet. The pool was quite green as it was neglected for a few months. Currently I recently had the DE filter insides replaced along with the heat exchanger as the calcium and baqucil destroyed them over time. I could actually see the main drain on the deep end (9 ft) this morning which is a good sign as the UV light must be doing a good job along with the filter. I went to vacuum today and had very low suction even though I did have no bubbles in the vacuum and the setting was on waste. I added a picture to the thread to help explain the setup but basically I'm unsure if the lever that is connected to the new water flow/main drain is in the right direction or if that needs to be changed depending on if I'm filtering vs vacuuming. I planned on vacuuming well and non chlorine shocking this weekend to hopefully get everything at a good starting point moving forward.

Any help on the vacuum issue along with general tips are greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TFP.

Note that this sites primary focus is on OUTDOOR pools. Some of the recommendations, like CYA level, are different for indoor pools.

What equipment do you have for vacuuming? A hose you plug into the skimmer? How dirty is the bottom of the pool considering it is indoors?

Hey thanks!

I got one off amazon, 4 way poolmaster test kit, which after reading on here won't be good enough ��

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to TFP.

Note that this sites primary focus is on OUTDOOR pools. Some of the recommendations, like CYA level, are different for indoor pools.

What equipment do you have for vacuuming? A hose you plug into the skimmer? How dirty is the bottom of the pool considering it is indoors?

Thanks I did not realize that.

I am using a vacuum without a brush and with wheels that hooks directly to the skimmer. The bottom is usually not bad but is currently due to the algae being killed.

Hey thanks!

I got one off amazon, 4 way poolmaster test kit, which after reading on here won't be good enough ��

You need a test kit like the TF-100 Test Kit or the Taylor K-2006-C to follow some of the recommended process here like SLAM Process. What is key is having the FAS/DPD chlorine test that lets you test for higher levels of FC.

Thanks I did not realize that.

AFAIK, PH & TA recommendations are the same for an indoor pool.

CYA and FC levels will be different but I can't tell you what to target. I am not sure how your UV system affects it.

I am using a vacuum without a brush and with wheels that hooks directly to the skimmer. The bottom is usually not bad but is currently due to the algae being killed.

Vacuuming algae through the skimmer into a DE filter will clog the DE filter quickly. And you will need to do many back washes and reloads of DE into the filter.

You can vacuum to waste until you get below your skimmer level, and it will cost you refills of water.

I suggest you get a robot cleaner, like a Dolphin, to vacuum the pool. We have a whole section devoted to Pool Cleaners

Here is THE link you need: Pool School - Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine that Cliff shared above. For right now this is the only thing you need to do, well AFTER you get a good test kit. Getting the kit with the FAS/DPD chlorine test like Allen said is VERY important.

I am also going to move this to the forum set up for this fun time. It will be a war but one worth fighting and winning!

Kim:kim:

FYI I see your signature says 20x40 ~40,000 gallons. I have a 20x40 with a 8ft dive end gonig ot a shallow 3 1/2" end....my pool is 30,000 gallons. It took my some time to figure out the volume but fianally i was able to have the PB verify. Just pointing out the volume difference since a 10k gallon difference will change how much chemicals you need to add to get to a desired result.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.