Dogs in SW pool

Feb 20, 2018
Wyomissing Pa
New here.....

We just installed a new pool and have a golden doodle who is chomping at the bit to get in. I have not allowed this as the pool decking is not completed and I do not want him dragging in debris. He is dying. Watching the kids play, throwing balls (his second favorite thing next to water) and all the humans being in the pool together is torture to him.

I was recently told that with a SW pool it is an absolute positive no no to let your dog swim. I am not yet knowledgeable on the ins and outs of managing the pool chemistry, our PB is maintaining this year until we close the pool in the fall. Is this true about dogs? Will my dog never be allowed into the pool?

Please fill me in a bit.
Thanks

Why? Have you ever seen dogs in the ocean? I have. Your SW pool has 1/10 the salt concentration of the ocean.

They should not drink much of the water. Neither should we.

Debris can be vacuumed out or hopefully you have a robot -- let him in!!!

We have a chocolate lab and have had our pool/dog for 4 years. It is also salt water.
At first, i tried to keep her from drinking the water...but that was fruitless, because she can drink when we aren't around.
It's been four years and there have been no health issues. She too, cannot stand it when people are swimming and she can't join in! lol

Can I suggest a couple things.
I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School.

Order a TF100 test kit
The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

I also have the SpeedStir. It makes testing much easier.

The sooner you start testing your pool water chemistry and understanding the critical need to monitor and manage it, the better.

With an SWG you will be monitoring pH and adjusting frequently anyway, so let the dog swim! I have never heard that dogs mess up the pH! I am curious who told you this could happen.

Are you paying your PB to maintain the pool? If you put your mind to it, you could learn how to care for your pool yourself in about a week. Your pool will be better off. Your water will be better off. Your family's health will be better off. Your wallet will be better off. And your dog will be better off. Let me count that up: that's a win-win-win-win-win.

Seriously, it probably sounds intimidating. We all thought that at first. It's actually quite easy. And the people here will guide you through the whole process. Follow Marty's advice above (#5) to get started. Read up a bit. Ask some questions here. You'll be a TFP pro before you know it...

- - - Updated - - -

A friend of mine who also has SW pool. She told me her PB was adamant on the issue.

You could fill a pool with what PBs know about maintaining a pool. But it would be a very, very small pool. I know that sounds crazy, but this site is filled with threads describing problems attributed to PB knowledge (lack of) and advice.

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair to the PB advice (which might have been misunderstood by your friend), while there are no known dog health issues or chemical level issues associated with dogs and SW pools, I would be cautious about introducing an active dog to a brand new finish. People aren't even recommended on some new surfaces for the first week. I imagine a dog's claws could do a real number on still-curing plaster. Even tougher pebble finishes. How old is your pool's finish? What type of finish?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pool was plastered June 28th and filled on June 29. We then left town for a week so it sat unused for a week. It is gunite w pebble tec plaster.

Part of our contract w the builder was he does maintenance for this first year until we close the pool in October. He will also reopen in the spring for us but from there if we want him to continue maintenance we will have to get a contract. I am confident in his ability to properly maintain the pool as that is his bread and butter, the new builds are secondary and he only does about 12 per year between the Philly suburbs and the Jersey Shore.

I am really eager to learn how to do this on my own, but not until we are up and running 100%. Right now we don't even have salt yet, we are still finishing up electrical. The pool has chlorine until then.

Thank you!!
I like your answer!

A friend of mine who also has SW pool. She told me her PB was adamant on the issue.

So not quite three weeks old. Not sure. Think he can hold out another week? You generally don’t add salt for a month, because it can affect the curing process. So maybe doggie waits, too? If he walks out, up the steps, on his pads, then it’d be fine. But if he claws and scratches at the sides to scramble out, then maybe not...

Plaster experts? Thoughts?

Out of curiosity, at what chlorine level does your PB maintain your pool? What CYA level? You should ask I'm really interested in what he says.

I was told it will really throw off the pH. Like I said, we are not yet managing the pool so I am not yet in the know. I just don't want to totally screw anything up as w newbe. I had the same thought with the ocean.

The SWG itself will throw off the PH anyway so you are going to have to adjust with Muratic Acid anyway. I have to adjust my PH weekly. Probably should do it more often. Any liquid chlorine increases PH including that generated by the SWG

Come on, mods. We need a sticky thread that lists and ranks what pool professionals try to sell us. "Dogs increase pH." would be pretty high up there! ;)

So, not to offend anyone. This is all great info. But hasnt this thread wondered away some what from the topic. Dogs in saltwater? IMO.

I don't think so, not the way I read the original post, anyway. We're all pretty much trying to figure out why the OP, and friend, were told their dogs can't get in their pools, which happen to be SW pools. And when their dogs can get in. It wasn't specific to why a dog can't get into saltwater. No?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.