Interlocking Salt Cell with Pump

dmichel

Jul 2, 2017
Bowmanville, Ontario
Anyone have any good suggestions on how to retrofit an interlock from my pool pump to my salt generator? I have a newer variable speed pump and an older zodiac duoclear 130 generator. I don't want to rely on the internal flow switch alone. Any good retrofit options out there?

Welcome to the forum!

What VS pump? Some have a relay built in that might be able to be used.

Otherwise you need a timer for the SWCG. You then make sure it is timed to run when the pump is running.

You are correct on not just relying on the flow switch. That is a secondary safety device.

I do not believe that pump has the relay.

Some have reported using current sensors to manage this. I am not an expert in that. Try searching the forum (search box, upper right).

So I've be researching more and trying to decide what solution to go with. The current sensor looks likes a reasonable solution but would require some messing around with my wiring.
I'm considering using a pressure switch like the Honeywell 76051 to directly switch the power to my swg. I'm thinking I'd just tap into the pressure gauge port on my sand filter. Thoughts?

The current sensor switch may or may not work. I have one of these on my dryer that automatically activates a dryer booster fan when the dryer is on. It works well in that when the dryer is on, but not running (ie: you are setting the temp/time, etc), it does not activate the fan. This is how you would want this to work with the variable speed pump so that when the pump's control panel was on but the pump was not spinning the switch would not activate. I don't think the current switches are intended for this use so not sure if the current is enough to not run the SWG when it is not only just on but not spinning but on and spinning but spinning too slowly. If you go this route, look for an adjustable current switch.

I think the best solution is to get a variable speed pump that has builtin protection for a SWG in the form of a relay that controls the SWG power based on both the pump being on and being at a proper speed. Either that or automate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.