Chlorine tablets

kspan

Bronze Supporter
May 11, 2015
uniontown, ohio
Wondering which type of 3" Chlorine tablets I should use. I won't list company names, just ingredients.
#1 = 8oz tablets - 90% Available stabilized chlorine - 99% Trichlor-S-Triazinetrione.
It also lists for each tablet: 5.495 ppm available chlorine; 3.27 ppm cyan-uric acid per 10000 gal of water. Trichlor contains 54.2% by weight of the chlorine carrier molecule Cyan uric acid, so every 8oz tablet of trichlor contains 4.336 oz of Cyan uric acid.

#2 = 8oz tablets - 84% Available Chlorine - 91.57% Trichlor-S-Triazinetrione.
Copper Sulfate pentahydrate (metallic copper equivalent 0.25%); Other Ingredients: 7.44%
Does not list what "other" ingredient is anywhere.

I always thought it was copper that you wanted to stay away from?
I was thinking that #1 was better, but I wanted to get some other opinions...... and go!!

None. We don't recommend tablets here. They add chemicals other than chlorine, such as CYA or CH, and eventually cause you water chemistry issues.

We recommend you use liquid chlorine/bleach for your chlorine needs. Or install a SWG to generate your own CL.

If you do want to use pucks consider the chlorine/cya relationship.

Reading your post if you use option 1 you’ll be adding 3ppm of cya for every 3 pucks you use. So after 30 pucks you’ll be at a 30 ppm of cya. As you continue to use pucks the cya will continue to increase and at the same time you will then need to keep more free chlorine in the pool to ensure a clean pool. Once you hit 70 ppm of cya after that your FC demand rises and you’ll probably need to do a partial drain and refill.

So so what is your current CYA level? Do you partially drain for the winter? Is so you could manage with pucks and say one you hit a cya of 60 switch to liquid chlorine to stop the cya rise.

You have a great test kit so that’s the first part of a tfp. The second is understanding the water chemistry.

By the way. Liquid chlorine (or just plain regular bleach) is cheaper ppm vs ppm to pucks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.