Gunite Pools in Central PA

thadius65

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2011
Bloomsburg, PA
Hello,

I have a friend that is looking to put a pool in at the end of this season. They are looking at doing a Gunite pool. I had always heard that gunite was risky in Central PA due to our winters. Can I please get some input from the experts on the forum?

Appreciate your help!

Ted

Hello,

I have a friend that is looking to put a pool in at the end of this season. They are looking at doing a Gunite pool. I had always heard that gunite was risky in Central PA due to our winters. Can I please get some input from the experts on the forum?

Appreciate your help!

Ted

Hogwash, Poppycock, BS .... many gunite pools have lived a long life in the Northeast.

Whatever Pool Builder told him that doesn't build gunite pools.

I have gunite. I’m in nepa. No problems yet. My buddy has a gunite. 8 years old. No problem. His parents have gunite. 30 plus years old. Same plaster as day 1! No leaks. No cracks. All is well. I have another friend that has a 6 year old gunite from my builder. No issues.

Not to offend any vinyl lovers but I would not want anything but a concrete gunite pool in the Northeast.

Any pool in area that freezes you need to winterize the plumbing by removing all the water from the lines so its the same for vinyl or gunite.

As on old school guy I just like concrete as its solid, wont rip or tear and as long as the top surface is maintained they can last many years. And the remedy for an old 10-20 year old
plaster surface is to have it resurfaced.

So more decisions are made for concrete vs vinyl is cost and time. Its cheaper and faster to build a vinyl pool. How much??? it depends on the size and features of the pool but my guess would be
20% +

However with concrete the possibilities are endless - you can build it exactly to your site or specifications. There are many nice vinyl pool options today but they are not really custom.

In addition if your friend wants a spa, swim outs, shelves or other integrated features concrete again give you all kinds of options but again at a price.

Concrete pools are very expensive in NJ, probably about $25,000 more, almost 75% more than a vinyl liner pool. Although, if I can turn back time, I would definitely gone the concrete/plaster route. I am always concerned about a tear in the liner, but with any pool, there is always a possibility of leaks at the plumbing as well.

As I mentioned earlier, concrete is the best route to go if affordable and can be customized to one's taste. Go with the concrete pool!

I would have much preferred a gunite to my vinyl. The issue was, many builders in the area gave me misinformation. In hindsight, I see why - they didn't build them. To be honest there are very few reputable builders in our area (Williamsport PA) and as far as I know, zero gunite. In the end, i did the best i could with the use of Stegmeir capstone forms to emulate that overhang look, but I am angry now because I wanted some unique to concrete pool options. I am glad I got to talk to this friend over the past few days to provider her the information found on here. Thank you all! I wish I had been looking for alternate opinions back 6.5 years ago.

I would have much preferred a gunite to my vinyl. The issue was, many builders in the area gave me misinformation. In hindsight, I see why - they didn't build them. To be honest there are very few reputable builders in our area (Williamsport PA) and as far as I know, zero gunite. In the end, i did the best i could with the use of Stegmeir capstone forms to emulate that overhang look, but I am angry now because I wanted some unique to concrete pool options. I am glad I got to talk to this friend over the past few days to provider her the information found on here. Thank you all! I wish I had been looking for alternate opinions back 6.5 years ago.

i had the same issues as u finding a builder. I almost gave up. I’m not far from u. I’m in the Scranton area. I got lucky one day with calling a friend who told me his builder was 3 min s from my house. I have known him my whole life but didn’t know he did Gunite. He didn’t push gunite cause of cost but did them if someone wanted. He did mine. I just got lucky cause ya not many choices at all. And he did a great job. He is a good builder.

Jimi

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't know much about gunite, but a relative of mine has one and LOVES it. I have a vinyl pool. It was what I could afford. I guess it all depends on what you can afford. If a gunite pool is in the budget, then go for it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.