Losing the Resistant Mustard Algae Battle

It will go away... this stage of "patience" is the hardest part for sure. I know it first hand. Keep doing what you need to do. Make sure you're brushing your pool thoroughly while in slam mode... Please don't give up.

Ugh....every time it seems like it my be gone, the next day it turns backward! When brushing the pool this evening, the deep end was so polluted with dark gray dust clouds I had difficulty seeing the main drain. It also did that on one end of my shallow section. And.....I could see new growth in the seams. I eradicated the 3 green algae blooms I had in the past with the chlorine SLAM method, but this seems to be going no where after 2 straight months of constant attention. Just like people are all unique and their medical care should be tailored to them, could this also be the same for pools? After all, fill water, landscaping, wildlife, etc. creates so many variables :(

The pool was brushed twice yesterday. I brushed really well last night, finishing just as it got dark. I tested the water 30 minutes after I finished and got a FC of 21 and CC of 0. This morning at 6:30 AM, the deep end water is somewhat dull and there's a really dark sediment along the seam where the wall meets the floor under the diving board. Also, the green cohesive stuff is back floating on the deep end floor. It's like a debris patch that clings to one another. And....there are light yellowish brown sand spots in the shallow end along the wall that gets the most shade and in the vinyl seam near that area on the floor.

So you've been SLAMing your pool for 2 months you say. And you've maintained your FC of 18 (M. Algae Shock) for a CYA of 30 for the entire 2 months. With your filter on 24/7. You're brushing,,,,brushing...vacuuming....to allow the chlorine do it's job on the algae. Brushing the walls, ladder area (if you have any). I can't understand why your pool is not getting better after 2 months. Have you taken pictures during your SLAMing progress. You may see progress with the pictures you've taken every day. I'm curious to see how your pool looks now. Could you send a picture of it? I'm going to let an expert chime in here shortly about what potentially could be the problem, but my intake on this is that you need to just be patient with this progress. Please take a picture so we can see what we're dealing with.

The one thing different from what you mentioned is that I was SLAMing at a CYA of 10 and a FC of 15-20. I changed the levels after the response to my post. I've been brushing, brushing, brushing, and vacuuming so much that my husband and I aren't getting along so well right now because it consumes my days. The pool has a 44 ft side, a 28 ft side, a 16 ft side, a 20 ft side, a 32 ft side, with three 8 ft long steps, and 3 skimmers. It's approximately 40,000 gallons. It takes me a while to brush it. Also, vacuuming usually has to be split up into morning and evening because the water level drops quite a bit (even on the lowest setting that works for the process).

I posted the wrong picture and I can't delete it. I've tried to upload the others, but it says it's over my quota.

Last edited:
I think you're image was deleted for you. Did you try reloading the correct picture of your current pool status?

The one thing different from what you mentioned is that I was SLAMing at a CYA of 10 and a FC of 15-20. I changed the levels after the response to my post. I've been brushing, brushing, brushing, and vacuuming so much that my husband and I aren't getting along so well right now because it consumes my days. The pool has a 44 ft side, a 28 ft side, a 16 ft side, a 20 ft side, a 32 ft side, with three 8 ft long steps, and 3 skimmers. It's approximately 40,000 gallons. It takes me a while to brush it. Also, vacuuming usually has to be split up into morning and evening because the water level drops quite a bit (even on the lowest setting that works for the process).

I posted the wrong picture and I can't delete it. I've tried to upload the others, but it says it's over my quota.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another Ground Hog Day :(

I was outside with my husband's construction lights until 12:30 AM adding chemicals and brushing.....to no avail.

At 7 AM, all along the east side of the shallow end of the pool had light to medium brown patches of the enemy. The deep end looks as if there may be some lighter colored patches, but it's hard to tell because the water on that end is a bit hazy.

At 12:15 AM:

FC = 21
CC = 0

7 AM:

FC = 20
CC = 0.5

This stuff is ridiculous.

Oh! I don't have access to fix anything. I think that was Dave S.

Sorry.....yes, I tried, but it stills says I can't do it. I appreciate the attempt at fixing it.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you seeing ANY progress at all or is it getting worse?

Another Ground Hog Day :(

I was outside with my husband's construction lights until 12:30 AM adding chemicals and brushing.....to no avail.

At 7 AM, all along the east side of the shallow end of the pool had light to medium brown patches of the enemy. The deep end looks as if there may be some lighter colored patches, but it's hard to tell because the water on that end is a bit hazy.

At 12:15 AM:

FC = 21
CC = 0

7 AM:

FC = 20
CC = 0.5

This stuff is ridiculous.

The cycle has been that it looks like I'm about to win the battle with only sparse numbers of tiny white/ gray patches in the shallow end. Then it turns around and shows up in greater numbers and darker (close to its original color) and in the deep end as well. The latter is the part of the cycle I'm in today. The boat swimmers (algae eating bugs) still show up at night.

I'm getting ready to go out and brush in the rain.

My husband stated that he hates the pool, and I can't believe I'm almost there with him :(

On a side note, I don't think that I mentioned that I found the forum in 2012 and have been thankful for all of the info found here (it has saved me so much grief). I have been using the TFP methods since 2013 with amazing success, but it seems they are failing me now. I feel like this is a losing battle. What's weird is that I've seen an increase in complaints of similar pool situations over the last few years. It makes me wonder if something has changed in the environment.....maybe something new in the local lakes, rivers, and/or ponds. I have ducks that I have chase out of the pool every May through June.

Ok! I see you have a DE filter. Have you cleaned out the DE filter. Proper circulation/filtration of the pool water is a must. Since you've been at this for a while, I'm beginning to wonder if your DE filter is functioning sufficiently. Proper filtration ensures that the "chlorine gets everywhere, or you might not get all of the algae. Before you start, be sure you know how to clean/backwash the filter, and what the filter's pressure reading is when the filter is clean". Click here for more information on DE filters.

Also, you're certain that your CYA is 30, right?

I'm just trying to troubleshoot here. You're doing everything right..maintaining your shock level... frequent brushing and FC testing...backwashing when
your filter when it hits 20-25% higher than the clean filter pressure...

So one thing you can check is your DE filter to see if there's proper filtration...Again, click here for more information.

The DE Grid filter was a new install the 1st week of May. We did a thorough cleaning of the filter. My husband and I soaked the grids, the other Grid hardware, and the housing in a 10% bleach solution about 7 days ago. What could be scrubbed was and the grids were hosed down well after taken out of the solution.

I'll let an expert chime in here shortly, but my take on this is that you should continue SLAMing. Since there's nothing wrong with your filter and you're doing everything correctly as stated previously, then this is just a "patience" game.

Ohhhh Noooo. I'm sorry...You haven't offended anyone. Not at all. I just wanted someone to chime in about what else you could do. I don't know what else to advise other than being patient with this progress. You're on the right path. You're doing everything correctly. It may just take a bit of time to achieve your goal.

Hi Mendy48,

I noticed that twice you mentioned letting an expert chime in. Have I offended everybody somehow?

I hope that's not the case. I really do appreciate the forum.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.