New book by Robert Lowry

ka8yiu

Gold Supporter
Aug 11, 2016
SW FL
Robert Lowry apparently has a new book out called “Pool Chemistry For Service Professionals.” I saw it for the Kindle.

e581adf03180e061ac971eb482a24ebe.png

TFP’s entire Pool School is in Kindle format and available for $0.99. It contains the exact same information as Lowry’s book does (where do you think he got his ideas from ;) ) and anything in his book has been discussed on this forum for years. All one needs to do is use the Search bar up at the top of the forum and you’ll find all the answers you need.

I appreciate Mr. Lowry’s efforts to push the methods discussed her into the mainstream but there is literally nothing new to what he has written aside for some fancy printing and pictures....not really worth the cost of the book unless folks prefer to have a hardcovered books collecting dust on their shelves...

Yes, I know the TFP book is available and I have it. This was just an interesting thing that Mr. Lowry has written a book for residential pool service professionals following the same method. Not trying to sell it, just share a tidbit.

Maybe I should have shared the article instead of the book cover:

Residential Pool Chemistry Explained in New Book by Robert Lowry - AQUA Magazine

What was interesting about the article is the apparent “widespread success” with professional organizations.

Yes, I know the TFP book is available and I have it. This was just an interesting thing that Mr. Lowry has written a book for residential pool service professionals following the same method. Not trying to sell it, just share a tidbit.

Maybe I should have shared the article instead of the book cover:

Residential Pool Chemistry Explained in New Book by Robert Lowry - AQUA Magazine

What was interesting about the article is the apparent “widespread success” with professional organizations.

That’s because Lowry was, for a long time, a pool industry guy selling and marketing all the garbage pool-potions that people waste endless amounts of money on every year. Then, somewhere along the way, he ran across the work of Ben Powell and Richard Falk (chem geek) and decided he liked what they were talking about and figured he could turn a profit with it. Now he’s considered some kind of “guru of pools” when all he did was repackage and push information that was out on public forums for a long time.

Sorry, but call me unimpressed....

Interesting. Now that I read that, something I read before does sound more like Chem Geek was his source. Nice to know.

I have no specific knowledge of the conversations that they had but I do know that Lowry contacted Richard at some point to ask him to critique his book information and that Richard may have done that courtesy for him. Whether or not he incorporated all of Richard’s critiques is between them. But, yes, he and Richard have crossed paths.

By the way, Richard is currently working directly with the CDC’s Model Aquatic Health Committee (MAHC) to develop and publish new guidelines for aquatic systems (public) that will incorporate many of the ideas and science behind the FC/CYA ratio. With additional cross-agency work with the EPA, public regulations will finally start to realize and enforce the use of proper FC/CYA ratios when cyanuric acid is present in water systems. This will almost assuredly make it into the CPO training materials and eventually (hopefully) will filter down to the consumer level as the younger generation of pool professionals becomes better trained. Sadly this “top down” learning is about a decade or so behind what the grassroots community (aka, TFP) already practices at the residential level ....

Very interesting. Thanks. I surely didn’t mean to open any old wounds or stir the pot. I just saw the article and thought maybe this info is finally taking hold. I tend to like reading pool info while sitting around mine. That’s how I found the article.

Very interesting. Thanks. I surely didn’t mean to open any old wounds or stir the pot. I just saw the article and thought maybe this info is finally taking hold. I tend to like reading pool info while sitting around mine. That’s how I found the article.

No wounds just making sure the record is set straight. It’s entirely funny to me that outfits like AQUA Magazine write these glowing articles about how revolutionary this stuff is when a few minutes of Google searching and minor amount of journalistic and editorial elbow grease can easily determine the exact nature and history of all this. I suppose the click-bait for AQUA Magazine is more important than getting the story straight ... maybe next time they can just let Mr. Lowry ghost-write his own articles so that the editors can just simply hit the submit button to publish them faster :laughblue:

I have no specific knowledge of the conversations that they had but I do know that Lowry contacted Richard at some point to ask him to critique his book information and that Richard may have done that courtesy for him. Whether or not he incorporated all of Richard’s critiques is between them. But, yes, he and Richard have crossed paths.

By the way, Richard is currently working directly with the CDC’s Model Aquatic Health Committee (MAHC) to develop and publish new guidelines for aquatic systems (public) that will incorporate many of the ideas and science behind the FC/CYA ratio. With additional cross-agency work with the EPA, public regulations will finally start to realize and enforce the use of proper FC/CYA ratios when cyanuric acid is present in water systems. This will almost assuredly make it into the CPO training materials and eventually (hopefully) will filter down to the consumer level as the younger generation of pool professionals becomes better trained. Sadly this “top down” learning is about a decade or so behind what the grassroots community (aka, TFP) already practices at the residential level ....

I’m on CT adoption panel- MAHC has a long way to go. MAHC is surely grabbing hold in the states w/o existing regs.

C PO won’t change until uniform health codes evolve.

Reactions: Wntrequinx
I’m on CT adoption panel- MAHC has a long way to go. MAHC is surely grabbing hold in the states w/o existing regs.

C PO won’t change until uniform health codes evolve.

Interesting statement.

Where do you feel that the currently proposed MAHC needs work? Is it because it doesn’t go far enough in a particular set of recommended changes or do you believe it goes too far and causes costly retrofit/rework? Do you see health codes as they relate to commercial/public pools as solely the purview of the States or do you accept a federal role in drafting a comprehensive view of aquatic regulations? Since the CPO license is not a requirement in all states, is the CPO’s adoption of any changes even relevant/necessary or should CPO licensing be made mandatory?

Any thoughts you might share publically would be appreciated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

The new modules are out.

& side ? Does the author have any familial relation
to Neil Lowry?

The new modules are out.

& side ? Does the author have any familial relation
to Neil Lowry?

From the 3rd Edition -

Flexibility: Raises calcium hardness maximum levels to 2500ppm. (5.7.4.4.3)

Cool!! Now my 1200ppm CH doesn’t make me feel so bad anymore :party:

No idea on familial relations...Lowry is a fairly common name so it’s unlikely...

I found some contradictions in Lowry’s work regarding the level of FC required to achieve a given HOCl level. I emailed him to discuss it but he repeatedly dodged the question.

i won’t be reading anything more of his. As noted above, it’s all derivative but repackaged as “I discover this” and “I found that”.

Quite interesting to here. I've read countless posts by chem geek on this forum, searching this and that. As I'm sure everyone who's done searches for the "why" has found.

Speaking of him, whatever happened? He still logs in on a regular basis, but hasn't made a single post since 2015. The archives are post after post from him and then....nothing.

Speaking of him, whatever happened? He still logs in on a regular basis, but hasn't made a single post since 2015. The archives are post after post from him and then....nothing.
As Matt pointed out, he is busy working on with the CDC’s Model Aquatic Health Committee (MAHC) to develop and publish new guidelines for aquatic systems.

That plus a new company that is working on new products are keeping him busy. As many of us can attest, posting here a lot can consume a lot of hours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.