Feb 9, 2018
Tx
Moderator comment: This post was separated out from this thread: Chrolrine with Ozone

I lost 0.6 PPM, went from 5.6 to 5.0

Holy cow! With all due respect, the point of having an Ozonator is to be able to run 60-70 percent lower levels of chlorine because chlorine is no longer being used as an oxidizer which eats up your chlorine.

You should be maintaining .5 - 1.0 tops.

I learned that from the rep at Leslie's Pools. They even notated my account by adding _Ozone to my first name in their system so they would remember I had an Ozonator when checking my parameters and giving me my recommendations sheet.

I don't get why everyone poo poos Ozonator's on this forum.

Here is a list of all the things that the manufacturer of the UltraPure says you won't need.

Shock Treatments
Scale Inhibitors
Clarifiers
Scum Line Cleaners
Algaecides
Scents
Filter Aids
Filter Degreasers

Guess what, I don't use any of the above products and my pool is crystal clear with a constant .5 chlorine level in the hot sun off Houston, Texas.

We'll we do shock if someone throws up in it.... Don't ask. Ewww...

Re: Chrolrine with Ozone

Holy cow! With all due respect, the point of having an Ozonator is to be able to run 70-90 percent lower levels of chlorine because chlorine is no longer being used as an oxidizer which eats up your chlorine.

I learned that from the rep at Leslie's Pools. They even notated my account by adding _Ozone to my first name in their system so they would remember I had an Ozonator when checking my parameters and giving me my recommendations sheet.

Here is a list of all the things that the manufacturer of the UltraPure says you won't need.

Shock Treatments
Scale Inhibitors
Clarifiers
Scum Line Cleaners
Algaecides
Scents
Filter Aids
Filter Degreasers

Guess what, I don't use any of the above products and my pool is crystal clear with a constant .5 chlorine level in the hot sun off Houston, Texas.

It's your pool so you are free to run it how you wish. Just keep in mind that ozone provides NO residual effectiveness. It only cleans what comes in direct contact with it. I would much rather maintain a higher FC level and KNOW that my water is safe since it's the water itself that carries the sanitizing effects along with it.

Holy cow! With all due respect, the point of having an Ozonator is to be able to run 60-70 percent lower levels of chlorine because chlorine is no longer being used as an oxidizer which eats up your chlorine.

Shock Treatments
Scale Inhibitors
Clarifiers
Scum Line Cleaners
Algaecides
Scents
Filter Aids
Filter Degreasers

We don't need any if that either, or a system that we don't know if it's working or not

Moderator comment: This post was separated out from this thread: Chrolrine with Ozone

I'm not debating but the OP should consider reading the manufacturers website and manual on proper use of the Ozonator and chemicals before disabling it.

Does the TFP calcuater adjust for Ozonators or do you have to disable your Ozonator to use the calculater?

I can't believe a scare tactic of a little girl dying because their "commercial UV sanitation" system failed was used in this thread about Ozonators. Had that system had chlorine as a backup like we do with our Ozonated pools this wouldn't have happened.

I have really lost respect for this page...

The fact is that pool builders are recommending and installing Ozonators in new pools and the TFP system should encompass it rather than encourage folks to disable it.

I can't believe a scare tactic of a little girl dying because their "commercial UV sanitation" system failed was used in this thread about Ozonators. Had that system had chlorine as a backup like we do with our Ozonated pools this wouldn't have happened.

The fact is that pool builders are recommending and installing Ozonators in new pools and the TFP system should encompass it rather than encourage folks to disable it.
Just like ozone manufacturers, those that push UV systems say you need to maintain a minimal amount of chlorine in the water. Here at TFP we group them together as an "alternative" system that is potentially unsafe to the swimmers in the water.

A FC level of (reading the ranges you have posted) of 0.5 to 1.5 are next to impossible to maintain in a residential pool. With no CYA in the water that will be consumed by the solar UV in a few hours.

Additionally, both ozone and UV are impossible to test to see if they are working or not.

Pool builders also recommend and install mineral systems that stain your pool, also install puck feeders that use a unsustainable clorine system. Pool builders also load up a new pool with too much salt, calicum, and cya from the start. Pool builders are not someone too look for on pool chemistry

You like the ozone, good deal

Bonner, TFP is founded on solid science. I can pull up the links to the papers if you would like or you can look for them in "The Deeper End". We do NOT use or endorse the use of UV or ozone systems nor will we change our Pool Math to support these systems. It is up to you how you keep your pool. It is up to us to teach and support the TFP way and methods.

Kim TFP MOD

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.