Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ok To Run Pump/Filter Without Official Piping

1. Back To Top    #1

Ok To Run Pump/Filter Without Official Piping

Hey folks,

As mentioned in other threads I just took out the concrete surrounding my pool area.

The piping was directly below the concrete (in some cases the concrete was poured into it) so it's completely unsalvageable. I planned to replace the piping and skimmers anyway, but until I get that done (may not start for 2 weeks) I'd prefer to run the pump and filter.

So, is it ok for me to just place the pump next to the pool with a pipe sitting in the water (and going into the pump), and have the filter attached next to it with just a pipe coming out of it going into the water.

No reason this should be an issue, right? If so, what if I put them farther away from the edge of the pool? That should resolve all issues, right?

Thanks!
    18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ok To Run Pump/Filter Without Official Piping

No problem at all just make sure they can't "walk" into the pool. You might want to put them back far enough that that won't be an issue. You could use pipe or hoses just make sure that the suction hose is rated for that service.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Ok To Run Pump/Filter Without Official Piping

Excellent! Figured so, just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing.

Thanks!
    18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain