Pool Nightmare

Jun 24, 2018
Rockwall
We started a $200K project with our pool. infinity edge spa and 42 foot simple pool design. The pool company put lights on one side and blowers on the other. The pool does not move. Bugs stay were they are. My service guy said this pool, he has serviced by last four houses, he said you must have jets all the way around to direct the water to the skimmers. Also, the infinity edge...not so infinity. The builder wants to direct all pool flow to the spa to make it run over so more algae in pool. I think I can have the top of the infinity knocked out and redone but am I just messed up because of them "forgetting" to put jets on one side of the pool?

Tricia in Texas

Hi Tricia, welcome to the forum! :wave: Gee, I'm afraid I don't even know where to begin in your scenario. The pool is built and done, so if there is anything to be done now I would imagine that would be quite the discussion between you and the builder - who by the way should've taken several factors into consideration. Unlike many who have a $30-$70K pool, your's is substantial which is another issue. I guess I'll start with these comments:
- Surface water movement is important as we would like for the jets to push surface debris to the skimmer(s). It's not always a perfect scenario though. Sometimes because of the pool design, other times because a pool was built in such a way it fights the prevailing wind direction, so the stuff on the surface is always at the other end of the pool opposite the skimmer(s).
- To test your water circulation, you might consider grabbing some packing peanuts or ping pong balls and toss them on the water. Hopefully when the wind isn't too strong, just to see where they go. Check your return jet nozzles. Hopefully they are the type that can be rotated a bit to angle the direction of flow. If not, talk to your builder about the issue to see if other nozzles can be installed to help with that circulation. They should be receptive as it's inexpensive compared to the alternative - redesigning the pool.
- For the spa & pool, generally we advise minimizing spillover from the spa as it tends to drive-up the pH quickly (aeration) which is not good for a pool, especially a new plaster pool that is curing for months. So unless you're using it or simply exchanging water in the spa for chlorine movement (change-out) and sanitation, see if there's a way to keep spillover off.

I hope some of this is helpful. Feel free to post back with comments, questions, or even to post a pic of your pool and the situation. Maybe that will prompt more replies.

It is actually normal to have returns only on one side of the pool. If you had returns all the way around the water would just push to the middle.
The water should be getting pushed by the returns and the top water level sucked in by the skimmers to remove bugs and debris.
Add that to suction at the main drain.

Then again normally you would have one return in your spa for the spillover.

Last - can you adjust your pump speed to increase flow and circulation? I often adjust my pump speed if I have more bugs or want to increase filtering.

Maybe you could post some pics or a diagram of your pool returns including your spa - you should be able to get some good advice here.

For a $200k pool I would expect that all would be of best quality and working well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.