Apure 700 Issues/Recommendation

Jun 23, 2018
Midland MI
Hello all! New to the forum so I hope you don’t mind this being my first post.

I have a Apure 700 that I installed new in 2010. Since the new install, I have changed the tri-sensor three times, the cell once (3 years ago) and, the front and back boards once.

Since the latest replacement of the tri-sensor two weeks ago, I am now getting error codes 123, 125 and 194. The cell has been cleaned, the cord checked and when performing the voltage checks per the Jandy Workbook, all signs point to replacing the cell AND the front board.

I am growing weary of putting more money into this system. So, I am asking for suggestions/recommendations on where to go from here. Should I simply replace the cell and front board (~$500), upgrade to a new system, or simply switch to chlorine? Will a new and/or different manufacturer’s system have better and more reliable technology or do I simply need to manage my reliability expectations on the unit I have?

We really like the salt pool and would prefer not to go chlorine.

Some specs on my pool are, 16x36 in-ground, metal wall, vinyl liner, 21,000 gallons and 100% self constructed. [emoji3]

Thank you in advance for any responses and I look forward to chatting with you all.

Shawn

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

An AquaPure 700 is really undersized for your pool. You are sure it is not a 1400?

Do you have an automation system? There are a number of reliable, low price stand alone SWCG's out there.

I do not have any experience at the specific issues you are having. Some other members will provide some guidance along those lines.

Thanks for the response mknauss!

It is definitely a 700 and when working properly, my water is crystal clear. However, I do need to have a high generation setting to keep it that way. Maybe that is part of my issue?

I am unfamiliar with what you mean by an automated system. I did just recently add a variable speed pump of which I highly recommend.

R,

Welcome to TFP... A great place to find the answer to all of your self-constructed pool questions, no matter what color your train is... :shark:

If you do not have an automation system, you are free to use whatever salt system you want... Here is a pretty good comparison chart...

Compare and Review Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features

I suspect it is just a terminology thing, but you do realize that a Saltwater pool is a chlorine pool?... :p

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

The AquaPure 700 can create 0.63 lb of chlorine per day. If run 24 hours per day at 100% setting, it will add almost 4 ppm FC per day to your pool. In Michigan, you can probably get away with that size most of the time. How do you test your water chemistry?

Automation - does your VS pump and SWCG run through a system that you can manage run times, rpms, SWCG setting, etc? Or does your SWCG run on a timer and your VS pump is hard wired to a breaker and you use the timer/scheduler on the VS pump?

A signature would help. See Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Thanks mknauss. I do run mine at 90-100% most of the time and it does do the job when running properly. Again, maybe that is part of my reliability issues?

I test my water with the strips which I’m sure isn’t the best way and I generally don’t have to do much to get everything in balance. Usually my biggest issue is pH.

Thanks for the link. I will work on a signature.

pH and calcium are two main determiners on longevity of salt cells. I suggest a proper test kit like the Tf-100 to take a full set of valid tests for your pool before going any further. That generator is very undersized for your pool and with it running as often as it is, your cell will burn out earlier. You should have gotten the 1400 or any number of other chlorine generators that produce more chlorine.

After some research, I do see that my generator is undersized for my pool. I simply installed what my pool guy recommended. I will also get a test kit. Admittedly, I do not keep good tabs on my pool chemistry. If it I looks like there is no water in the pool, I have always called that good for the most part.

In the meantime, I would still like to hear recommendations/experiences on other brands. I ran taking out the SWCG by Mrs RT and that was a no go. [emoji16]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you for the signature!

In Post #4 Jim has a link with a good lineup of SWCG's. You really want one for a 40K pool or bigger.

The stand alone units most discussed recently are the Circupool units as well as Pureline from InyoPools.

Take care.

Thanks for the help folks. Quick update....

I balanced the water out (thanks for the test kit tip) including stabilizer. I decided to go with the Pureline 7700 from InyoPool. It took me a few hours to install, more due to trying to make everything neat and tidy rather than just getting it up and running. Looks to be a good unit so we will see how it does.

For now, I have it set at 50% and I will continue to monitor pool chemistry and adjust accordingly. Any other suggestions here would be appreciated.

For anyone interested, I have a new Apure1400 tri sensor and a 9 year old Apure 700 unit that could maybe be used for spare parts and a couple cells that could be used as spool pieces. I doubt the front board is good but the back board seems to be ok and front panel is in great shape. If anyone thinks they could use anything, shoot me a PM and maybe we could work something out. I would hate to see it go in a landfill.

Thanks again for the help.

When you get the Dropbox, go to the upper right and use Download, Direct Download.

You do not need a Dropbox account.

Two plus week update:

I determined that in order to turn my pool over at least once a day, I would need to run my VS pump at 50% for 18 hrs. I prefer to run my pump more than less and if my math is correct, this setting uses less power that running at 100% for ~9hrs.

The SWG calculator says to run the cell at 23% given the above setting. Of course after getting this unit installed, I had one day to monitor it before leaving on a week’s vacation so, I set it at 35% knowing it was going to be extremely hot.

Returning from vacation I returned to a crystal clear pool (minus bugs and whatnot). [emoji1303] After being home for one day before leaving on a 4 day business trip, I set the unit to 23%. Upon returning after 4 days, the water was still in pristine condition and I have been running at this setting since.

One thing I have noticed is that my water tests come in with a solid 3.2gr/L and the unit’s reading has fluctuated from 2.5 to 3.7 giving me one salt level alarm on the low side. I’m sure what to think of that yet since it has only happened once so I will continue to monitor.

Another observation is that the flow switch will open at 22% pump RPM and it takes about 40% RPM’s to close it. I know this will be variable depending on many factors (pump, plumbing, etc) but I thought it was interesting.

So far, I am extremely pleased with this unit in terms of performance, cost and ease of installation. I would not hesitate to recommend this unit if you are looking for one. In fact, I think Inyopool has them on sale right now.

Thanks again for all the help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.