NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-25
This is year 2 with our pool and we are just now getting started due to new baby. I’m unsure if I need to SLAM or not. Is it always required when opening? The water looks pretty clear and I added 56oz bleach yesterday afternoon recommended by pool math app. I have not tested today but below are my test results from before bleach was added:
FC-0
pH-7.5
TA-60
CH-150
CYA-<20

The way to be sure is to run Overnight Chlorine Loss Test It should be a piece of cake for you -- someone is up every couple hours anyway. Raise FC up to 10ish a little before dark. Leave pump run. Test FC after dark and record it, then test it again when it starts getting light in the east but before the sun hits the water. If you're pretty much the same, no, you don't need to SLAM. If you lost a bunch, you already got a 12 hour jump on a SLAM.

Can the OCLT not be done with regular FC levels? Do I need to go ahead and add CYA? If so how much? It was less than 20 but not 0. What do FC levels need to be while adding CYA? Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Just saw your last post. So I need to keep FC level at 10 today and don’t add CYA until I pass OCLT? It’s not safe to swim yet correct? I have a 3 year old &#55357;&#56842;

Can the OCLT not be done with regular FC levels? Do I need to go ahead and add CYA? If so how much? It was less than 20 but not 0. What do FC levels need to be while adding CYA? Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Just saw your last post. So I need to keep FC level at 10 today and don’t add CYA until I pass OCLT? It’s not safe to swim yet correct? I have a 3 year old ��
No, you don't have to keep it at 10 all day unless you decide to go ahead and SLAM right now. 10 is the correct FC value for under 30 CYA, by the way. You can keep it 3ish all day and raise it later, or not.

You can add CYA any time it's convenient: now, later, tomorrow. Add 15. Even if you overshoot, you won't be too high.

If so, should I add cya or wait until done swimming?
You can add CYA any time it's convenient: now, later, tomorrow. Add 15. Even if you overshoot, you won't be too high.

It'll take a couple hours, maybe days to dissolve, so don't avoid the pool just because of it. It's a very weak acid, so I wouldn't want to swim eyes open right next to the sock, but it wouldn't keep me out of the water.

You can add CYA at anytime. We recommend putting the granules in a sock and placing the sock in the skimmer with the pump running. If you want to make sure the little one doesn't mess with the sock you can start after swimming.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok so just to recap, keep FC at 3 until CYA is 30, add CYA whenever, and do an OCLT tonight? I wouldn’t do that but my 3yo might haha.

- - - Updated - - -

You can add CYA at anytime. We recommend putting the granules in a sock and placing the sock in the skimmer with the pump running. If you want to make sure the little one doesn't mess with the sock you can start after swimming.

I put it in a sock in front of jet last year, is putting it in the skimmer better? Just a regular sock still? She’d be less inclined to mess with it that way probably.

Thanks! Ok, I did the OCLT, FC was 4 last night and this morning. Husband didn’t check CC, should he have? CC was 0 last night.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.