When can I swim again after shocking?

Have you tested the pump to see if that gpm is true? If that is what it is rated at, that is with 0 lift and 0 backpressure.

Test the pump rate. I suspect it is much less.

Not sure how I would test that. It has no more than 12” lift since it’s on the tanning ledge

OK - but I suspect you will be attaching a hose to the pump and running the water to somewhere when you drain. Put the hose on the pump and put in the pool. Then pump it into a 5 gallon bucket and see what rate you get.

Thats 20 GPM or 1 gallon every 3 seconds. What do you have around that can measure a few gallons?

I used a 5 gallon bucket and it took just under 58 seconds to overflow, so that’s more like 300 gallons per hours. For the turnover I need, that’s more like 25 hours.

Great. That is a very good pace. I do mine at 7 gpm so you should be good.

Try to start it very early in the morning so that you have it all dialed in by the time you want to get some sleep. I bet you check it through the night as it is hard not to think about it.

Thanks for all the direction, folks! After 24 hours of pumping out the old and in with new, here are my initial readings (after 3.5 hours with pump on high as well).

TC=0
CC=0
pH=7.8
TA=140
CH=170
CYA=55 (Yes, YOU read that correctly)
Temp=88°

Now that CYA has improved drastically, the rest is easy. I’ve already added some chemicals and will test again later tonight.

Thank you all for your help!

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So now I can’t seem to keep chlorine in my pool. Here are my current readings:
TA- 130
pH - 7.6
FC - .5 (after adding 1 gal of 10% liquid chlorine)
CC - 0
CH - 200
CYA - 40
Water temp - 92°

Do I just keep adding the liquid chlorine? When Inadded the 1 gal about 5 hours ago, I used the calculator to get me to a target of 9. It actually said I needed 132oz, I believe. I would have expected a bigger increase than just .5. Any thoughts?

How long between adding LC and testing?

- - - Updated - - -

Did you maintain your FC daily the last week after exchanging water?

I had the pump on high for about 5 hours before testing.

I was gone gone for a week right after I exchanging water. I had some friends add a partial jug for me after about 5 days. I’m guessing when I say it only had about 1/4 left in the jug. I then added a full gallon when I returned on Saturday and it was virtually zero when I did. I checked again this afternoon before adding the gallon at 1pm. Then again at 6pm.

You will need to test and dose more often than every 5 hours to start. Try one hour. That should start to turn things around.

I’m guessing my chlorine is in fact ineffective. I could not find any clear expiration date. I only found this “18 158 8:40 B2 TX-01”. I bought six jugs about 3 weeks ago, but I kept them in my shed. It’s been at or above 100° for the last 10 days here. I was reading on another thread here at TFP about the shelf life of liquid chlorine. I then grabbed my last jug that was unopened. I opened and carefully took a sniff test. It seemed very week. Probably not a good scientific test, but I’ll get fresh stuff and try again. Thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.