Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: BBB switchover for AGP

1. Back To Top    #1

BBB switchover for AGP

Quote Originally Posted by bclaydon
    Jason,
    I grew up with a 24' round Doughboy so I am used to using normal Chlorine and Acid. I have been researching this BBB thing as I just put in a 40x16 AGP - Doughboy with a DE filter. I have been trying to figure out why I should go to the BBB method! It sounds like it is less expensive, and perhaps a more effective method when it comes to keeping algae out. Is this true? Then I read the rave reviews about PhosFree to kill algae (pricey!), then I read about Borates and 20 Mule Team! Ughh! I guess my main concern is to keep algae out as I now have a brand new vinyl liner! I can purchase normal bleach at Costco way cheaper than Chlorine I am sure but will need a TF100 test kit for sure if I switch. My pool has regular chlorine (shock-type) currently. Will it mix with bleach? How to winterize a 20,000 gallon pool!? I all just seems scary!
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: BBB switchover for AGP

I grew up with a 24' round Doughboy so I am used to using normal Chlorine and Acid. I have been researching this BBB thing as I just put in a 40x16 AGP - Doughboy with a DE filter. I have been trying to figure out why I should go to the BBB method! It sounds like it is less expensive, and perhaps a more effective method when it comes to keeping algae out. Is this true?
    Well, a lot of people here think so, and have used it successfully.
    Then I read the rave reviews about PhosFree to kill algae (pricey!), then I read about Borates and 20 Mule Team! Ughh!
    PhosFree doesn't kill algae, it reduces your phosphate level; the argument there is that without phosphates to eat, algae can't grow. Nonsense; algae can grow anyway. Chlorine will kill algae no matter what your phosphates are.

Regarding borates, that's purely optional and even a bit experimental; you can safely ignore the 50ppm borates that people talk about. Borax is still the best chemical way to raise pH that has gotten too low, however.
    I guess my main concern is to keep algae out as I now have a brand new vinyl liner! I can purchase normal bleach at Costco way cheaper than Chlorine I am sure but will need a TF100 test kit for sure if I switch.
    You need a decent test kit regardless, otherwise you're just guessing when it comes to having adequate chlorine in the pool.
    My pool has regular chlorine (shock-type) currently. Will it mix with bleach?
    Once it is in the pool chlorine is chlorine, whatever source you use. You don't want to mix them outside the pool though.
    How to winterize a 20,000 gallon pool!? I all just seems scary!
    Anything new can seem scary. I made some dumb moves when I first started taking care of my pool, and I'd helped take care of one as a kid. But now I know better, plus I have the hubris to try to help other people. How's that for scary?
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page