Sheer Descent Completely Blocked

Jun 10, 2018
Tracys Landing, MD
Hi all,

Just got a pool up and running that was neglected for a year or two by the previous homeowners (who were foreclosed on). Anyway, plumbing was pressure tested by original pool builder and I’ve got everything working again and looking good... except the dang 3’ sheer descent.

When I apply water to that line, the filter pressure goes way up and no water comes out the waterfall. All other plumbing is fine... what are the chances that this plumbing has failed and has an air tight seal?

Any help is appreciated.

Mknauss,

thanks for the reply. However, I did the plumbing installation. The only way it could be a closed valve is if it is sub surface or under the concrete patio.

When we purchased the house, all plumbing was cut about 8” above the ground surface and equipment was gone. Since, I’ve rebuilt the equipment pad, bought and installed new equipment and plumbing, and had new electric done.

Everything is working like a champ now... just no water fall. Could I scope or snake the line? I installed unions in order to remove pieces of plumbing.

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

Trace the plumbing. Sounds like a closed valve.

This. Don’t look for a valve at the equipment pad, dig behind the wall where the sheer decent is and look for a valve. All three of my sheer decents have ball valves near the decents. My PB put irrigation access boxes over them so I wouldn’t ever need to dig them up and easy to adjust. Just trace the plumbing from the decent back and you’ll find it quick I’m sure.

I’ll look, however, the patio is at the same grade at the sheer descent on that side of the pool (opposite side from equipment pad) and is flat concrete for about 10’ back.

Would a builder really run the pipe 10’ away from the equipment pad to install a valve and then turn 180 to get back to the pad?

Believe me, I hope this is as simple as a box and a valve and not as difficult as a collapsed pipe under concrete. Fingers crossed.

If the plumbing was left open, I suspect that something probably got in the line and clogged it.

You probably need to reverse the flow to clear the lines.

Look in the sheer descent slit for debris.

If you are going to snake out the line you’d need to be careful once you get near the waterfall. Google images of the construction of the waterfall and you’ll most likely find that it has a chamber before the nozzle that has a plate with holes in it. The plate and chamber helps stabilize the water flow so that it has that clean looking flow to it.

I also suspect there is a ball valve behind the sheer descent. Both my sheer and waterfall have a ball valve buried somewhere behind them. I'll never be able to get the sheer as a 3 foot concrete deck was poured behind it but it is open and will remain that way forever.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.