Took a water sample to the pool store and these are the results:
fc 0
tc 0
ch 170
cya 0
ta 160
ph 7.6
pho 300
We have made 3 trips and spent a lot of money and the pool is still green. We used Leslie's conditioner 4lbs poured in the skimmer for cya and have since added 3 gallons of bleach and 4lbs of shock. I think it got greener after the shock.

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

Not much value is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional” would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. In most cases, the testing is inaccurate and non-repeatable. Plus, the results of their "testing" is used to convince you that you need to buy things.

TFP bases the pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 test kit. The other test kit that can provide the tests needed is the Taylor K2006C. Be aware of the C - it is a size. The small K2006 has too few reagents that you will need the most of.

I suggest you go through Trouble Free Pool School. If you provide us some more information (please complete a signature - see Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post) we can provide you some interim guidance until you get your test kit.

Kylehouse, I've got the exact same size pool as you and so far, we are absolutely loving it. We've only had it open about two weeks now, but please believe me when I tell you that having your own test kit, running those tests for yourself, and posting those test results here on TFP will be the best thing you could possibly do for your pool water. It is worth the little bit of time and effort to keep your pool clean and safe.

Just got in the tf100 test kit and tried it out. Here's what I got:
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Cya 90[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Fc 0.5[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Cc 1.5[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Ta 140[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Ph 7.5[/FONT][/FONT]

Good job on the test results.

To best tackle this you need to drain at least 50% of your water and replace with fresh. The CYA you show makes it very difficult to successfully perform a SLAM Process. You will use this [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] to determine your SLAM level of FC.

So determine how you can drain and refill and let us know.

Take care.

Not significantly. You need to drain 7000 or so gallons. A couple of inches of rain sadly would not impact that.

you need to check cya with the sun at your back waist high quick glances till you cant see dot for best results...... round up to next level I E 65 use 70 as cya level... you can pour back liquid into test bottle to do test several times too good luck and welcome to TF

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The CYA is the trickiest test to perform. As others on here have suggested, it's best to do the test outdoors in bright sunlight. I always stand with my back to the sun and hold the testing vial with only my thumb and forefinger at waist level in the shade of my body. I pour to each line of 10 starting with 100. I don't stare at the dot, just glance at it. If I see it, I pour to 90 and repeat. If you just stare at the dot continuously, your mind can play tricks on you and make you believe that you see the dot. Always glance and look away. That seems to work best for me. Once the dot disappears, you have your CYA number.

For draining, I've found that a sump pump or utility pump works great and doesn't put the pool equipment in jeopardy of being damaged. You can rent one at Home Depot or buy your own. I bought one from Amazon for $50 and I really like it.

Once you get your CYA level down to around 50 with a 40-50% drain, SLAMming the pool will be much easier. You'll raise your FC level up to the 16-20 PPM range and keep it there by testing every few hours and adding whatever amount you have lost with liquid chlorine. Do not use any more solid forms of chlorine because those will raise your CYA level with every dosage. That's probably what got your CYA so high to begin with. Stick with liquid chlorine only. It does not add any CYA at all.

At 50 ppm you can achieve a SLAM. Read SLAM Process. Use [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] for SLAM level FC.

Be sure to adjust your pH to 7.2 prior to starting the SLAM.

I used PoolMath with your 13600 gallon pool and FC 0 Now and 20 Target, and get 348 oz of 10% LC. Or 2 gallons 3 quarts.

Check your data input.

At the start you will be adding quite a bit of chlorine. I would suggest starting with at least 10 or better 15 gallons of 10% on hand.

Take care.

Don't add any tablets because that will increase your CYA and you are already on the upper limit (50) of where you want it. If the pool is cloudy blue, that's a good indication that the chlorine is killing or has killed most of the algae. Now the pump and filter have to do their jobs and clear all the dead algae out of your pool and into your filter.

If you really have no one who can add some liquid chlorine for you while you're gone, I'd just raise your FC level up to the mid 30's and keep your pump running 24/7 when you leave. It's not ideal, but I think that might be your best course of action. Hopefully when you get back your pool will have cleared up from all the filtering. If not, continue with the SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.