Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recommend a salt-water-tolerant deck/surround material~

1. Back To Top    #1

Recommend a salt-water-tolerant deck/surround material~

Hello all~

I would appreciate advice on coping and deck/surround materials that will easily tolerate the splash-out from my salt water pool. Also, please advise which materials to avoid.

We are planning a pool renovation and don't want to install a material that will erode easily.

Maybe there are folks out there who live along the Florida coast, where I imagine this sort of thing is routinely taken into consideration? I thought I had seen such a thread, but I cannot for the life of me find it again, and I would appreciate as much advice as possible.

Thank you very much.

Lana

PS--Pool Builder and DH are looking toward Belgard pavers; I haven't seen brochure yet.....will they survive?
    25,000 gallon, refurbished 1960's inground concrete, Jandy sand filter w Jandy 1.5hp single-speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG+Chemtrol 2100+CO2 tank; PebbleTec White Pearl with 10% Cobalt Blue Dark Beadcrete by Olympic Pool Plastering, Georgia. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; Aqua Check Salt test; LaMotte borates test, and Jack's Magic Sequest test kit; SparklyPoolitis level: extremely high.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Recommend a salt-water-tolerant deck/surround material~

My two year old poured concrete (with the tan color dialed up a bit) deck hasn't suffered any evident abuse from salt water splash out, and I think it gets a considerable amount from various sources. The pool sweep sometimes drenches the deck with a jet stream of water, the solar cover contributes more salt water when it's dragged out of the pool (several times a week), swimmers carry out several gallons a week. During swim season I use a garden hose to wash debris (and salt too, presumably) from the deck maybe every 10 days. Other times of the year the deck goes several weeks before being hosed off. The only caution I wish I'd exercised was during the first few weeks of pool ownership, when I hastily sat a sealed gallon jug of muriatic acid on the concrete before measuring out a cup or two for the pool. That mistake resulted in an unsightly brownish-red ring that could not be removed. The stain could have been lifted immediately if the area had heen quickly doused with water from hose or pool! Lesson learned.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Recommend a salt-water-tolerant deck/surround material~

i used all pavers around my pool and see no evidence of the salt wearing on them. They guy who sold me the pavers said they would wear against salt.
    Lebanon Pa ( So Cent Pa)
    17,000 gal.
    self installed Vinyl
    SWG, 500#sand filter 3 hp hayward
    "Heat Siphon"electric heat pump