Brand new Intex 16’ Ultra Frame -edit- trying to get water balanced

JAndyD

Jun 18, 2018
Marshall/MO
New to the forum.....and new to pool maintenance. Got my new pool set up and filled over the weekend. Can still see through the water just fine, but already has a green tinge to the water. I put the Intex starter kit shock packet in last night.

Am I wasting my time hoping for clear water with the 1500 g/hr standard filter pump that comes with it? Have understood they are considered inadequate.

Re: Brand new Intex 16’ Ultra Frame

Just to clarify, we purchased this pool as a trial run to see if we really wanted to build an in ground someday.

I am not at all opposed to any diy mods.....trying to do this as economically as possible. Trying to decide if we want to try salt water......want the least expensive option and hopefully the least amount of hassle too, but I get the idea that is all relative since hassle and expense are kind of part of it.

Hey there. You can keep a clear pool with that pump, but it won’t be long before you are looking for something better!

Most important thing for you to do right now is to purchase the TF 100 from the link in my signature. You need your own test kit so that you can keep track of what’s going on with your water. Also you will not want to use powdered shock in your pool. Take a look at Pool School at the top of the page and start learning about the water chemistry and all the things that you need to keep it balanced. You’re going to need so little compared to what the pool stores will try to sell you. So please stay away from pool stores!

I bought the starter kit they sold where I bought the pool.....was just following the directions on the product....then I discovered this forum while I was looking for info.

I have been reading some on the forum and I know now that the test strips I got with that little starter kit are not to be trusted. My bride is already stressing about the way our little pool that we bought on sale is snowballing into a much larger expense.....so just trying to get things under control with as little cost as possible. I will check the water with the strips I have when I get home and post those results. Are the results on those strips only good for a short period of time? Just curious if I should be looking for the color at 15 seconds and then disregard color changes after that?

Ok I have some current info.....even though it is only from my super precise AquaChek strips.

It is showing the pH is high (8.4), free Chlorine is at 3, total alkalinity is in the 120-180 ballpark, and the "stabilizer" is at 30-50.

If I am doing this right it appears I should add 55 oz of 6% bleach and 15 oz of 31.45% muriatic acid to up the chlorine and get the pH down.

I ordered the TF–100 kit… But I have a few questions about what I have to work with right now. The shock treatment that I put in the pool the first day..,,,.the instructions on it said that I should wait until chlorine falls to below 2 ppm. Is that true that it’s not safe to be in the pool above that? That doesn’t seem to jive with the information that I’m getting from this forum… I wondered if it was just a way to make sure you were ready for another shock treatment.

Are the conditioner numbers that I’m getting on this test strip likely to be accurate?....because I haven’t put anything in the pool that should’ve added any CYU to the water.

So kellyfair, I see you have the same pool that I have. How long have you had it?...and did you start with a filter type pump or did yours come with the saltwater system?

Considering the SW option and just wondering if that is the easiest way to maintain the chlorine levels.

I have same setup. Ours originally came with the smaller intex cartridge filter. We added a Hayward skimmer and the intex swcg and didn't have any problems. The pump died the 2nd summer , so we got the larger intex cartridge filter. It works great too.

I'm so happy we installed the swcg. When every thing is dialed in, we barely have to anything.

Hi, Andy! Sorry for delay in response... I’ve been doing yard work and haven’t spent as much time on forum. Hang on and let me go back through to see what your questions are!

Ok. So, the test strips are garbage. I’m sorry. :(

The good news is that you already have the test kit on the way! So what you need to do right now, since this is a new fill and you haven’t added much, is to purchase CYA, also called stabilizer. Walmart carries it. We’re going to add to your pool by putting the recommended amount in an
old gym sock and hanging it in front of your return. Make sure sock isn’t resting against liner. Keep pump running, and you can stick your hands in there and squeeze sock to make it dissolve faster. I actually get in and swim around with my sock! LOL

Before we figure out how much to add, how much shock did you use, and what kind was it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

While you are at Walmart, check out their bleach (liquid chlorine). You want plain old bleach. No scents, splashless, fabric protection, or other additives. Pick up a few gallons. You’ll use that while you decide if you want to upgrade to a better pump, filter and SWG. To answer your question, I used the little cartridge filter for a year. I then upgraded to sand filter. Used that for a while, figured out it was too small, and upgraded again to the sand filter/pump/SWG option. Have had that for two years and I NEVER want to be without the SWG again.

I also modified my pool to have all 1.5” plumbing and a through wall skimmer.

I can’t remember off the top of my head what kind of shock it was, I don’t think it was chlorine....which I think only leaves the other option that boosts CYA if I am remembering right from my reading. It was in a small box kit that had a packet of shock, pH raise, 1” chlorine tabs, and the bottle of test strips for $20.

I have the empty package at home so I can take a look later.

I have already picked up some CYA, pH Lower, and bleach ......and added about a half bottle of 6% bleach to the pool along with a light sprinkle all the way around of the pH Lower....and I left the pump running when I left this morning.

I can’t remember off the top of my head what kind of shock it was, I don’t think it was chlorine....which I think only leaves the other option that boosts CYA if I am remembering right from my reading. It was in a small box kit that had a packet of shock, pH raise, 1” chlorine tabs, and the bottle of test strips for $20.

I have the empty package at home so I can take a look later.

I have already picked up some CYA, pH Lower, and bleach ......and added about a half bottle of 6% bleach to the pool along with a light sprinkle all the way around of the pH Lower....and I left the pump running when I left this morning.

Ok, don’t add anything more at this point!

I did what you're doing...bought a small intex to see if I wanted to upgrade. I only got the 12 foot bc I have a 5 year old and didn't want it over her head. I did upgrade to the smaller intex sand filter/pump with swg, and it cost more than the pool! But I wanted to see how I liked using a salt system, having always had non salt pools growing up. I love it. I've added bleach once, on startup, and that's it. Plus, I swam in my aunt's pool on Sunday (non swg inground), and her water felt sticky to me. My water feels much nicer.

No advice as it sounds like you are on top of things. Good luck! We love having a pool, even our little one, in our backyard.

Hopefully I haven’t done too much working with inaccurate info from the test strips..... but I figured if I put extra chlorine in it would take care of itself over time.....since I got no responses last night I thought I needed to do something to head off the algae

Yep, you are right to add chlorine daily. Just don’t want to start messing with PH and so on, until you know what PH really is!

The shock was called Utikem Shock X-Tra ....64% Sodium Dichloro-s-triazinetrione Dihydrate, 1% Alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride, 35% OTHER INGREDIENTS, Available Chlorine 35%

It was in the Qualco Inc Start-up and Maintenance Kit

My handy dandy Aqua Chek strips are telling me that my pH is down to the 7.8ish ballpark now, chlorine is about 3 or a little less,total alk is in the 120-180 range, and the stabilizer is still showing 30-50.

It is dark outside so it is hard to evaluate for sure, but I set the pump to run 12 hours today and I think it looks better as far as I can tell in the dark.

Is there a chlorine level that is considered too high to be in the pool?

You are safe up to SLAM levels of chlorine based on the FC/CYA chart.

That stuff you put in is really messed up. It would have added some CYA. If you know how much you put in the CYA could be calculated but simpler to assume your cya=20 and keep your FC at slam levels accordingly (because you said you have algae) until your tf-100 arrives.

Stop using your test strips for anything other than fc. Even that is filled with peril but you have nothing else. When will your tf100 arrive? Bad information is worse than no information at all...

I see you are using Unicel filters in your pump....are they better then the Intex filters?....any others I should order? Anything I should do with my current setup to make it filter better/cheaper?

I am aware that all my "info" from the strips is to be taken with a healthy dose of skepticism.

That packet of Shock X-tra was a 16 oz package.

I am assuming that algae is trying to get going because the water has a light green color to it, but it is still only slightly cloudy so I don't know is it needs to be SLAMed ....maybe it does, this is my first pool experience.

My test kit was shipped yesterday, so should have it in the next few days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.