Pool Light Housing Leaking

schs4

Jun 18, 2018
Southwest Florida
Hey, Everyone,

I'm new to the forum but appreciate the opportunity to be around other people with the same interests. We recently purchased a home in sunny SW Florida that has an in-ground ~ 15,000-gallon pool. In the pool, is a Hayward SP-570 underwater light fixture. I wasn't too sure about what kind of light the fixture had in it, so I killed the power to it and took the housing out. After having taken the ring & lens off the front, I found it to have water in it, despite it having been on and working before this. It had, maybe, 3-5 ounces of water in it, and you could tell the water had been in there a while or had slowly collected. The cap/contact of the bulb had turned black in a couple of areas from the water exposure; it looked as if the water had gotten to the socket.

I took the bulb out, dried the housing very well, put it back together and held it under water for a few minutes to see if I could spot any air bulbs but couldn't. The seal looks very new. I replaced the bulb and lens, tightened down the ring, and replaced the fixture. My original intent was to pull the bulb, so I knew what type of replacement LED bulb to get for it, but with the discovery, I'm not so sure that I shouldn't replace the entire housing, but I'm not sure what that consists of.

Obviously, electric & water don't mix. I've not found this light fixture to be on a GFCI circuit. With that said (I'm no electrician), how did the light not blow, the breaker not trip, or someone not get electrocuted from water somehow making it into the housing and the socket?

I plan on keeping the fixture turned off & taking the housing back out in a couple of weeks to see if there are any signs of water.

I am not an electrician either but you and I survived to tell the same story! Except, our pool and spa lights are on a faulty GFCI that won't trip. In my case, the water leaked through the cable rubber boot. I refused to put myself and others around me at risks. So I went ahead and replaced the GFCI and switched to low voltage 12V LED fixtures for added peace of mind.

You may want to engage an electrician and voice your concerns if your not comfortable working around with electricity.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.