life of a vinyl liner pool

morolo

Jun 16, 2018
Reisterstown
I have a vinyl liner pool which is 24x48 45,000 gal. pool. It was built 25 years ago. I have a question about the structure not the liner.

What is the average life of the framework itself ? This would be handy to know the next time I need a new liner to determine if I should invest in a new one. I'm no longer a " spring chicken" so at some point I would like it rebuilt to a much smaller size.

thanks!

It really depends on how it was cared for......did you keep dirt and stuff from gathering on the outside of the pool? That would keep moisture from being held by the wall and causing rust. Has there been any leaks where water could get behind the liner? Again causing rust.

If it is in good shape it could last for a long while. Now if you want to replace it with a smaller one I think 25 yrs is a good, long run so....

Kim:kim:

An older AGP like yours will probably last forever! As Kim said rust is the enemy, so if there is no rust it can keep on going. If you are ready for a smaller pool you could sell your current one. Many of our members have bought used AGPs, with buyer take down and removal as part of the bargain.

I believe that was said with a bit of sarcasm. morolo's pool is most likely an inground. With an averaged depth of 5ft, that size pool would be right at 45K gallons.

I've never seen a 24x48 inground pool... but it could exist I guess... With the exception of free form, there seem to be standard sizes for rectangles... 16x32 18x36, 20x40.... depths vary... free form pools obviously are different.

Guess we'll wait for the OP to respond ;)

My pool is 24x52 so that's why I assumed AG

Vinyl lined inground pool are just built in sections. You buy a 3 foot to 6 foot section that can be either a straight or a curve or a 90, etc. YOu then just build to whatever shape you want. All the "kits" are is someone decided to build a 32x16 you need this set of pieces. BUt they can build to any size, and liners are commonly custom anyway.

But to the OP, I have always heard around 30 years. SWG systems will expedite the end of life due to excessive corrosion. But I would guess that if this is an in ground pool, this would be no small (or cheap) task to make it smaller.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.