Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The dangers of cyanobacteria

1. Back To Top    #1

The dangers of cyanobacteria

From the Boston Globe. I don't know if this also applies to pools, but since swimmers like to swim everywhere, chances are you may dip in a contaminated pond. FYI and be careful.
    This is my ticket for Heaven (when all's working..) :
    22k Gal gunite IGP, 38 SF Anthony DE filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    380k BTU Raypak Natural Gas Heater (Model RP405A) and solar cover
    8 gal Liquidator w/ 12% bleach, Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage robotic cleaner. 3800 ppm salt, 50 ppm borates.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The dangers of cyanobacteria

One would hope that whatever cyanobacteria happen to fall in or develop in pool water would be sanitized/oxidized by appropriate levels of hypochlorous acid. Eeewh.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

3. Back To Top    #3

To clarify, the article says that cyanobacteria is often misnamed blue-green algae. Cyanobacteria IS blue-green algae, the stuff that grows in our pools if the chlorine gets too low.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Really? I recall cyanobacteria from fish tanks as a sticky, filmy sheet of blue-green that stinks. Very different from ordinary green algae.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

Cyanobacteria is also known as blue-green algae though it is technically a bacteria and not a plant. Because it uses photosynthesis it acts somewhat like algae. Some forms can do nitrogen fixation so can use nitrogen gas as a nutrient (instead of nitrates).

Green algae is different and is a plant, not bacteria. It is green algae that is the most common kind found in pools.

Sufficient chlorine relative to Cyanuric Acid (CYA) will prevent the growth of either.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    Really? I recall cyanobacteria from fish tanks as a sticky, filmy sheet of blue-green that stinks. Very different from ordinary green algae.
    The film on top with a blue-green algae bloom is composed of the dead cyanobacteria. Yes it is different from green algae, which is a true algae. "Black algae" is a form of cyanobacteria, and the cyanobacteria that are known as blue-green algae are found in the soil and air virtually everywhere. I believe that the BG algae prefers the water to be stagnant, which may explain why green algae is more common in pools that haven't been abandoned or neglected completely.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat